Hard wired phone

Old 10-25-05, 05:26 PM
tankdawg5050
Visiting Guest
Hard wired phone

I recently bought a home and the only upstairs phone is hard wired into an old rotary dial phone. The phone works great, but the ringer is SOOOOO loud it wakes up my 16 month old all the time. I'd like to install a jack so I can put a new phone upstairs, but I have no idea how to begin. Please help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-05, 06:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
buy a jack , take the plate off the wall hook red to red and green to green , plug in modular phone of choice

Old 10-26-05, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 51 Votes on 41 Posts
Don't know how old the rotary phone is, but all the ones I ever saw had a provision for adjusting the volume of the ringer. If nothing else, you could remove the outter cover and stuff some tissue is the bells.

Old 10-26-05, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy
Don't know how old the rotary phone is, but all the ones I ever saw had a provision for adjusting the volume of the ringer. If nothing else, you could remove the outter cover and stuff some tissue is the bells.
good point ive seen electrical tape used also or just take the brass "gong " off ,lots of ways to adjust the old electromechanical ringers .

Old 10-31-05, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
unless you really like the rotary phone, just buy a new phone, jack and step up to this century... ha... its real easy to change out the jack.. just look at the house wire when you open the old one up.. if its as old as the phone, it'll be Green, Red, Yellow, and maybe black.. the Green and Red will be hooked to the Green and Red from the phone.. on screw terminals, replace that old term. block with a jack and reterminate the Green and Red to the Green and Red on the jack.. if by chance the house wires are newer, they probably will be the white/blue and blue/white (first pair normally used) and white/orange orange/white (second pair, second line if you had one)...

Old 11-02-05, 09:58 PM
I would often bend the banger and/or turn the bells but a jack is really easy to install. If you have an old rotary phone you may not have color coded wires which is fine because generally phones aren't polarity sensitive anymore.

Attach one wall wire to red/jack and the other to green/jack