Fire Hazard?

Old 10-27-05, 08:24 AM
awesomebase
Visiting Guest
Fire Hazard?

I'm running regular cat5e cable through PVC conduit from the basement of my house to the attic. Is there any fire hazard in terms of air flow through the PVC that I should be concerned about? A friend of mine thought that there might be because I'm running an open pipe from the basement ceiling to the attic. That is the first I've heard of it, but, as far as I know, I've never heard of that concern before. Some people seal the ends with a cut out for the cables, but most I know don't do anything. Has anybody heard of this? Thanks!

Old 10-27-05, 09:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
you can get fire stop caulk at home depot , just seal both ends to be safe .

Old 10-27-05, 09:56 AM
awesomebase
Visiting Guest
Firestop

It is 2" PVC, so I'll definitely need to use some kind of cap on the bottom end. But, I think only the bottom needs to be sealed, I heard that sealing both ends is fine as long as it isn't "air tight" because PVC can not take a lot of air pressure (though I'm sure this pipe is fine unless I'm running a air compressor through it!) before it breaks apart. Anyhow, I'll look for that on my next trip out to the store.

Old 10-27-05, 12:57 PM
R
Sealing the PVC won't gain you anything. It will waste your money. You only need to worry about sealing when you breach a fire stop wall.

Old 10-27-05, 07:11 PM
firestop caulk expands when it gets hot , I would use it .

Sealing the PVC won't gain you anything. It will waste your money. You only need to worry about sealing when you breach a fire stop wall.
not necessarliy so you also need to be concrerned when you penatrate a floor

the calk is 10 or so , if it where my house I would "waste the money "

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: