NID Installation Question

Old 10-28-05, 07:44 AM
mz1
Visiting Guest
NID Installation Question

Assistance please! Just moved into a 50 yr old home that has 3 phone jacks - two are hot with the same number and the third jack is not operational. I'm wanting to activate the third one with the same number. At the NID, there appears to be one set of wires attached, with two, three wire splices from two other cables in the box.

Should I cut the splices out and attach all of the wires to the existing hookup to make the third jack hot ? This third jack will be used in a computer room for an upcoming SBC DSL installation.

Last edited by mz1; 10-28-05 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add info
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-05, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I dont see what you gain by cutting the splices out . often cables are spliced to make a single pigtail to connect to the screw termilals.,its cleaner to connect one or two wires than 3 or 4

50 year old house best would be to pull a new cable for the dsl if possible cat 3 or 5 either way dosn't matter.

if you want to try to get the non working jack working start by taking it off the wall and seeing what wires are connected , compare them to a working jack and duplicate , chances are it had a second phone line connected to it and just needs to have the hot pair connected .

post back as you go along

Old 10-28-05, 05:23 PM
mz1
Visiting Guest
mango man - thanks for the response - you're right, it looks like a second line. In the crawlspace the line goes directly up to the NID and is not connected in there.