phone line wire color differences

Reply

  #1  
Old 10-30-05, 10:29 AM
grimesminco
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
phone line wire color differences

guys i know its not rocket science but i guess i ditched this class.

ive got different color wires coming out of the wall than the standard 4 colors(red,yellow,green black) i have blue,white with blue dash,orange and white with orange dash.
so now my question is what is the colors i put together to make this thing work??
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-30-05, 10:58 AM
Member
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Central New York State
Posts: 13,973
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, you can guess till you get it right, or got to the NID and see what is connected there. It is probably either the white pair or the blue pair, but it all depends on who installed it.
 
  #3  
Old 10-30-05, 12:42 PM
nynextek
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
colors

That's not too difficult. You have a 2 pair wire. 1 Pr would be the Blue/White other Pr Orange White. When installs are done and only one line is involved Techs tend to use the Blue/White (Blue wire + White wirew/Blue dash) since it's Pr #1 in the color code.
 

Last edited by nynextek; 10-30-05 at 12:44 PM. Reason: clarity
  #4  
Old 10-30-05, 02:26 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 108
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This link should help:

http://homephonewiring.com/clr-code.html
 
  #5  
Old 10-31-05, 05:49 PM
frhrwa's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Deer Park WA
Posts: 521
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hopeful that the guy installing it was a tech.. you never know since divestiture.. anyway, your right, it should be the w/b b/w pair 1 and w/o o/w pair 2...
 
  #6  
Old 11-02-05, 09:53 PM
mjd2k's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Canadian Prairies
Posts: 352
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pair 1 White blue
pair 2 White orange

White blue is first choice unless you have more than one line. Then it could be white orange.
Best/easiest way to tell is to head to your entry and see whats connected.
 
  #7  
Old 11-03-05, 05:21 AM
mango man's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sw FL
Posts: 2,122
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
it really does depend on who put it on , I often see home installs where they use the green/white and orange /white becouse its the closesest match to red and green kinda makes sense I guess
 
  #8  
Old 11-03-05, 06:23 AM
alperri21
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question What connects with what?

Gal needs help - I have the pairs bl-bl/wh and or-or/wh but have a 6 connector jack w/ red, gr, ye,blk, wh,blue - which wires go w which connectors? HELP! Thanks Guys -

Originally Posted by nynextek
That's not too difficult. You have a 2 pair wire. 1 Pr would be the Blue/White other Pr Orange White. When installs are done and only one line is involved Techs tend to use the Blue/White (Blue wire + White wirew/Blue dash) since it's Pr #1 in the color code.
 
  #9  
Old 11-03-05, 06:32 AM
mango man's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sw FL
Posts: 2,122
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
for one line you just need the red and green on the jack

so red =blue \white
green= white\blue
 
  #10  
Old 11-03-05, 06:46 AM
alperri21
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
No orange/wh?

You mean I don't need to connect the orange ones at all? Do I just leave them hanging?


Originally Posted by mango man
for one line you just need the red and green on the jack

so red =blue \white
green= white\blue
 
  #11  
Old 11-03-05, 06:48 AM
mango man's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sw FL
Posts: 2,122
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
just leave them hang ,
 
  #12  
Old 11-03-05, 06:50 AM
mango man's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sw FL
Posts: 2,122
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
if it makes you feel better to connect

orange white = yellow

white orange = black

but that would only be applicable if you had two lines and where using a two line phone .

it wont hurt anything to hook them up , but it sont do anything either
 
  #13  
Old 11-03-05, 06:51 AM
alperri21
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks!

Okay - I'll try it.

Originally Posted by mango man
just leave them hang ,
 
  #14  
Old 11-03-05, 07:07 AM
alperri21
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
No luck...

Okay I did that for both lines -

Red = blue
Grn = white/blue
Ylw = orange
Blk = white/orange

I have a dual phone jack (each w/ six connectors); and two sets of wires coming out of the wall; presumably one set of wires for each line.

Still no dial tone. Did I do something wrong? OR does it make a difference that there are two lines? Only one line works, but the house is wired for two.



Originally Posted by mango man
if it makes you feel better to connect

orange white = yellow

white orange = black

but that would only be applicable if you had two lines and where using a two line phone .

it wont hurt anything to hook them up , but it sont do anything either
 
  #15  
Old 11-03-05, 07:44 AM
mango man's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sw FL
Posts: 2,122
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you uh...did strip the insaltion from the wire before you connected ? (have to ask )

two wires coming out of the wall is typical daisy chain ,one should be bringing dialtone into the jack the other feeding the next jack down the line , you need to connect the two pairs from each cable to the jack

if still no dialtone then go to the next jack and be sure both cables are connected ,
 
  #16  
Old 11-03-05, 07:59 AM
alperri21
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
did that... :)

Grinning - yes, I stripped them.

Two main wires (one each line) - each main has four wires - bl-bl/wh, or-or/wh

Dual Jack - total 12 connectors (six each) - red, gr, blk, ylw, wh, blue

I connected each main as directed.
Red = blue
Grn = white/blue
Ylw = orange
Blk = white/orange

Neither jack has a dial tone. So, do I need to criss-cross these things or something? I only have one phone number, despite the wiring for two lines. SO only ONE should work... and it did until I changed jacks bc the face plate was broken.

I'm sure this should be easy - not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for your help!


Originally Posted by mango man
you uh...did strip the insaltion from the wire before you connected ? (have to ask )

two wires coming out of the wall is typical daisy chain ,one should be bringing dialtone into the jack the other feeding the next jack down the line , you need to connect the two pairs from each cable to the jack

if still no dialtone then go to the next jack and be sure both cables are connected ,
 
  #17  
Old 11-03-05, 08:36 AM
mango man's Avatar
Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sw FL
Posts: 2,122
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
so it worked untill you decide to change the jack (and not note what was connected where )

so we know dialtone is there we just need to find it

what I would do

take a working jack off somewhere else and note whats connected

red/ green on the jack is all we are worried about

if you dont have another jack then ,

hook the orange white pair up to red green on the jack dialtone ?

no, well we tried both pairs so it is coming on a split pair try :

blue white / orange white
blue white /white orange

white blue/orange white
white blue /white orange

its got to be on one of them

dont thank me , help somebody else ...works better that way

 
  #18  
Old 11-03-05, 09:17 AM
alperri21
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
:) working now... and will do!

I'll advise the next folks to pay attention the first time!



Originally Posted by mango man
so it worked untill you decide to change the jack (and not note what was connected where )

so we know dialtone is there we just need to find it

what I would do

take a working jack off somewhere else and note whats connected

red/ green on the jack is all we are worried about

if you dont have another jack then ,

hook the orange white pair up to red green on the jack dialtone ?

no, well we tried both pairs so it is coming on a split pair try :

blue white / orange white
blue white /white orange

white blue/orange white
white blue /white orange

its got to be on one of them

dont thank me , help somebody else ...works better that way

 
  #19  
Old 11-03-05, 12:52 PM
frhrwa's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Deer Park WA
Posts: 521
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you mentioned you had two cables coming into the wall jack? one of these is probably your feed from outside, the other is feed to another jack in your house.. take the w/b and the b/w from both cables and put them on the Green and Red of the jack.. (you can verify the pairs used by looking in the NID on the outside of your house to see what pairs were tied down).. putting both cables together will push the dial tone to the next jack in the house.. if you have two telephone numbers and two line telephone sets, then do the same for the w/o and o/w to the Black and Yellow on the jack..
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: