phone lines

Old 11-03-05, 11:58 AM
valleycem
Visiting Guest
phone lines

Our place is set up so that we have more than one phone line. We have a phone in our office that we use, but we have phone outlets throughout the rest of the house that I want to hook a phone up to, but they are wired for another line, and I want to switch it so that I can have it on the same line as the one in our office. For example, when I hook a phone up to an outlet in another part of the house, there is no dial tone or anything. Anyone know how I can fix this??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-05, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to check the wiring at the jacks and at the network interface. At one of those locations you will have to switch the wiring, depending on where the choice was made for line one or line 2.

Report back on what you find if you need help.

Old 11-03-05, 12:25 PM
more than one phone line
How many?

Depending on when your house was built, and when and where the second line was added, your phone wiring might have been done in different ways. If your house is fairly new, they probably ran four-pair cable daisy chained through all your jacks. If this is what you have, then it will be pretty easy. Start by checking just one representative jack where you might want to use this other line. Remove the faceplace. How many cables come into the box, how many wires are in each cable, and what color are those wires?

Old 11-03-05, 12:47 PM
valleycem
Visiting Guest
phone lines

Our place isn't new. When I take off the face plates and compare them, the wires seem to be hooked up the same. I think that the line comes into the office. When I take off the faceplate in there there are a lot more wires. I can show pictures if this will help someone to help me figure out what is going on. Help!

Old 11-03-05, 01:16 PM
Now look at the network interface.

Old 11-03-05, 02:32 PM
valleycem
Visiting Guest
a stupid question

Um, maybe this sounds stupid, but what is the network interface?

Old 11-03-05, 02:59 PM
The network interface is where your wires connect to the phone company wires.

If all of your jacks are wired the same, then the problem is either the wires themselves or at the other end of the wires.

Old 11-03-05, 06:45 PM
valleycem
Visiting Guest
many wires

Ok, the outlet from my kitchen has a tan wire with about 5 other wires coming out of it connecting to the faceplate. The outlet in my office has 3 tan wires, each with colored wires in them, coming out and randomly connecting to the faceplate. So there are wires connecting to the faceplate from three separate tan wires.

Old 11-03-05, 09:18 PM
First, look at the jacks. The middle 2 pins are line one, and the outer 2 pins are line 2.

Now, follow the wire color codes. If you have traditional 2 pair wiring, red and green are line one and black/yellow are line two. If you have multi-pair cables, the pairs will be like this: "white wire with blue stripe plus blue wire with white stripe". There are some standards for what color is line one, etc. but nothing you can be assured of. Just look at the jack that works and compare it to the other jacks. You should be able to decipher where the changes have been made.

Old 11-04-05, 09:54 AM
First, you will have to locate the connection-point where the interior pairs connect to the pairs from the central office.This is the "Service connection-point."

Next, connect 2 test-leads to the Green & Red terminals of a wall-jack, and plug telephone into the jack. IF you have a cel-phone, dial the # of the line you want to connect to,
and test for the C-O pair that will cause the test-phone to ring.

Having I-D'ed the C-O pair that connects to the correct line to be connected to, you must test for a pair in the cable which is between the Service connection-point and the location where the phone is to connected.A "continuity-test" with an Ohmeter is possible.

Old 11-04-05, 07:06 PM
valleycem
Visiting Guest
pictures

Ok guys, here is what I am going to do. Use this link to view pictures of the outlets I am looking at. I don't understand how I am supposed to make them match when one of them is using a lot more wires than the other one.

www.geocities.com/valleycem5/phone.html

Old 11-04-05, 07:14 PM
in the fiirst picture just hook all the red , green , black and yellows up

should be good to go

Old 11-04-05, 07:44 PM
Ouch. Thats a mess.

Personally, I would just plug in a phone and start touching the pairs from the cable to the red/green of the jack until I hit dial tone.

Cable pairs are usually red/green (pair 1) then yellow black as pair 2.

I have a sneaky suspicion they may have wired some auxilary element in there. It looks like the red/green from one cable are hardwired to the red/green from another, as one wire, note the marrette.

If that doesn't work, you will need to head to the entry and see if there is anything disconnected. Hopefully they used home runs back but it sure doesn't look like it.

That marette bugs me though. I hope theres no voltage on it. It would be small anyway.

PS: don't leave loose wires in the jack. Once you have the right config. wrap any extra wires around their cable so they aren't hanging around. Note the extra yellow black with bare ends. Perfect trouble spot.

Old 11-04-05, 07:49 PM
Oops. Cancel that bit about the extra element. Now I see there are 2 marettes. My old eyes only picked up one.
Sorry about that.

Old 11-04-05, 08:17 PM
marettes ? must be a canuck term

I think your talking about what we call wire nuts down here , they are just used as splices in amateur installs . nothing to do with power

Old 11-05-05, 10:37 AM
Thanks Mango Man. Yes I'm a Canuck

Old 11-11-05, 06:18 AM
Phonedave
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by valleycem
Ok guys, here is what I am going to do. Use this link to view pictures of the outlets I am looking at. I don't understand how I am supposed to make them match when one of them is using a lot more wires than the other one.

www.geocities.com/valleycem5/phone.html

OK, the first thing to understand is what you are looking at. One phone number will be on the red/green pair of wires. The other number will be on the yellow/black pair. You have three IW's comming into that RJ. The phone numbers come "in" on one IW, and go "out" on the other two - to more jacks.

The jack you posted is a standard 2-line jack. Line #1 goes on the top (as your picture lies) two screws. Line #2 goes on the bottom two screws. Then when you plug in a 2-line phone, it will work correctly. But wait, you say, I don't have a two line phone. In that case you need to decide what number you want to appear on line 1 of the JACK. Whatever phone number you connect to the top pair of screws is what a "normal" single line phone will see on the jack.

Now, you also mention that certain other jacks have no dial tone at all. Well that makes perfect sense looking at your picture. Notice that there are some wire ends that are not connected anywhere, Well if they are not connected, then the circuit is never going to go anywhere.

I don't know what sort of tools you have available. I am assuming that you do NOT have a butt set. So lets make an erzats one. Remove all wires from the back of that jack. Plug a known good phone into the jack. Now strip and bare all the wire ends - and DONT LET THEM TOUCH. Take one of the incomming IW's and touch the red to the red screw on the jack and the green to the green screw and check for DT. If you have it, good, thats you incomming IW. If not, check the others till you find it. You can there call your cell phone from this number to identify what number it is (there are easier ways to do this, but it can vary from CO to CO and is somthing that the telcos don't like given out). Now take the red/green off the red/green screws and put the yellow/black on the red/green screws and check that number.

So, now you know your feeder IW and what phone number is on what pair. Now decide what you want to be the main number on the office jack, and put the corrosponding pair of wires (red/green or yellow/black) under the red green screws and the remaining pair under the yellow/black screws.

Now take one of the other IW's With the first one still connected to the screws, touch the red/green to the red/green screws (no matter what color wires you have connected to the screws) Check if you have dial tone - if so good. Do this test with the yellow/black of the same wire and with both pairs in the third and final IW. The reason I am having you do this is because of what I see in your jack. Someone has disconnected legs of the circuit running through that jack. It may have been a repairman taking the easy way out. A short anywhere in the circuit will knock out the dial tone. If there was a short, sombody may have taken the easy way out and just disconnected the leg that had the short, instead of chasing down the short and actualy shooting the trouble.

So, hopefully your DT never went away (if it did, just fold those wires back for now, we can talk about shooting the trouble if you actualy have one. Take all the black wires and put them all under whatever screw it is that you decided the incomming black wire shoud go on. Do the same for all the other wires (keeping any wires that caused a short on the DT test folded back) When you put the wires under the screw, there should be number of washers on the shaft of the screw. One wire between each washer - and do not cross the ends of the wires over each other, it will cause them to snap when you tighten the screw, make "U" shaped loops, not little lassos.

When all is hooked back up, check your other jacks. If there is no DT, or the wrong DT, then open them up, look at the back, and connect the correct pair for the phone number you want to the red/green screws and the yellow/black to the other set.

-dave