installing cat5 phone jack to old wiring

Old 11-13-05, 05:04 PM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
installing cat5 phone jack to old wiring

I am installing a new phone jack designed for cat5e phone wire, but I need to connect it to what seems to be older (circa 1970) phone wire -- the 4 solid color kind. To make it more compex, the existing jack (with four screws and posts) is connected to 2 sets of wires -- 6 of the 8 individual wires are connected to the old jack, leaving 2 individual wires haning.

Is it possible to use my new phone jack at all? i hope so -- its the only type of jack that I can find for use with the new modular plate I'm installing; which includes 2 coax connections.

help!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-05, 05:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jwillie
I am installing a new phone jack designed for cat5e phone wire, but I need to connect it to what seems to be older (circa 1970) phone wire -- the 4 solid color kind. To make it more compex, the existing jack (with four screws and posts) is connected to 2 sets of wires -- 6 of the 8 individual wires are connected to the old jack, leaving 2 individual wires haning.

Is it possible to use my new phone jack at all? i hope so -- its the only type of jack that I can find for use with the new modular plate I'm installing; which includes 2 coax connections.

help!!!
well it won't be cat 5 but it will work fine for phone use

hook green to (white/blue )red to (blue white ),

if you have two lines then black to (white/orange ) yellow to (ornge white )using 568a wiring scheme , you dont need to connect them for a single line

Old 11-14-05, 04:21 AM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
thanks

thanks, Mango man.

does it make a difference if I put a splitter on the jack for a phone line and my satellite phone jack?

Old 11-14-05, 05:01 AM
i would put two jacks on the same line rather than a splitter , its cleaner and more reliable , but yes you can put a splitter on .

I'm not real familiar with the satellite but look and see if it doesnt have a line in and line out port ,a lot of peripheral devices do and saves having to use a splitter

Old 11-15-05, 05:14 PM
C
Most satellite receivers don't have a through port. Some come with a splitter though.

Old 11-17-05, 07:40 AM
jwillie
Visiting Guest
Solution

I gave up. Too many problems trying to figure the whole thing out using a modular jack, plate, etc.

went to local shop and bought a pre-made plate with two coax connections and a phone jack with the same connections as my old jack.....

thanks all for your help.