Answer machine to fax?

Old 11-16-05, 09:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Answer machine to fax?

Hello,

I've seen some people set up phone lines with answer machines that are also fax's. So if I send a fax to that number, I'd hear the answer machine but after a few seconds the fax is able to send. Is this a particular hardware I have to buy or is this some type of setup/call forwarding thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-05, 02:07 PM
hardware .

best are line sharing devices ,they answer every call then route to fax, phone or modem .

we use the stick by multilink
heres one merchant , do a google search for others
http://www.phonemerchants.com/muincstlishd.html

there are also combo units phone/fax /answering machine that do it all internally .

Old 11-17-05, 07:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
some fax machines have it built in.. you just have to plug your house phone into the out jack of the fax machine so your line literally goes through your fax machine first.. if you have more than one phone in the house, and... your fax machine has this capability, you can... if you feel brave, install a dual or quad jack at that wall outlet, take the ouput of the fax machine via a tele. line cord to one of the spare jacks, wire the house pair 2 to that jack (either white/orange orange/white, or black & yellow depending on what type I/W you have installed)... then go to all the other jacks in the house and put that pair on the Green/Red of each jack... that will feed the house with the output "from" the fax machine ... this gives your fax machine control of the incoming call.. if its a fax, you'll never hear it ring on your house phones, the fax machine will just take the call and print the fax.. if its a regular call, it will begin ringing after a preset amount of time, and if your fax machine has the answer machine built in, it will take the message for you.. have fun.. that other piece of hardware is a "FAXJACK" and does the switching for you, but once again you'll have to decide if you want all of your house phones behind it or in front of it..

Old 11-18-05, 05:15 AM
usually the ring generator, built into fax machines dosnt have enough power to ring many house phones (if any ) often it will only ring the fax mahine

Old 11-18-05, 01:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
never had a problem with it, but true, if you have to much load (high REN), then it may not ring all of them..

Old 12-11-05, 09:39 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gorth97
Hello,

I've seen some people set up phone lines with answer machines that are also fax's. So if I send a fax to that number, I'd hear the answer machine but after a few seconds the fax is able to send. Is this a particular hardware I have to buy or is this some type of setup/call forwarding thing?
I use the ComSwitch that Office Depot sells (or use to, not sure if they still do). It was about $70

You plug the line, answering machine, fax machine and modem into, it listens to the line whenever you pick up, and then it can pick which line the incoming call gets transferred to.