Maybe This belongs in Bloopers, but need help

Old 11-19-05, 09:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe This belongs in Bloopers, but need help

I just finished running new wires all over my house (since there was only 1 working jack) -- I have all the old telco equipment and old wires that were 4 thick rubber sheathed (yupp, rubber dry rotting and everything) to beat that the guy before me to extend the phone wires would put the two together and tape them up using --- want to guess (yupp good ol' scotch tape)!

Anyway, got the brilliant idea to get a Leviton, i believe it is called a security/phone module, this will allow you to go from demarcation to 7 phone locations and then plug in a security system if you have one. Alls good, colors dont match, and there are more connection points than wires that I have per distribution point, but figure out where each wire goes, and assume the extra hole doesnt matter as long as you keep consistent (stay to left or right at each point) then I went and bought a full spool (250') phone cable - which i must add came at a very good price, 6 wires - non-twisted, and ran them throughout the house. (awaiting my VOIP to arrive before I connect everything), then I fall upon DIY and a number of other locations and hear all this about CAT 5 is the way to go.

Here is where I am running into trouble

I get Cat5, which I am mainly using for telephone. Do I need to get CAT 5 phone jacks at each location or do I use the regular phone jacks and just not use a pair of the cables? Will a standard telephone (2-pair) wire plug into the Cat 5 Phone Adapter?

What is Cat5e? If I am going to go back and re-wire everything, should I go Cat 5e instead??? Isnt Cat5 what they use for ethernet cord?

Sorry for sounding so dumb, but there is soooooo much going on here with telehone cord, I am truely lost.

Thank you for all of your guys help, with this and in the past!

Justin

Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-05, 03:37 AM
for voice (telephone ) there is no advantage to cat5 or cat5e what you have is just fine

if you want to run data (computers ) you should have cat 5 or 5e but you can use what you have it will just be slower

cat 3 . what you probably have will allow you to go to 10base t or 10mbps data . cat 5 will run 100 base t @ 100 mbps and 5e is 350mbps .

Old 11-20-05, 07:31 AM
J
Thank you for clarifying that for me. Would there be any benefit to have Cat5 or Cat5e if you plan on wiring your house to use Vonyage VOIP?

-- Justin

Old 11-20-05, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by jucream
Thank you for clarifying that for me. Would there be any benefit to have Cat5 or Cat5e if you plan on wiring your house to use Vonyage VOIP?

-- Justin
no , the vonage adapter breaks out to standard dialtone which will work just fine over cat 3 cable.

the cable price is basiclly the same so we just use cat5e cable for everything , future proofing.

If you had asked first I would have recomended going with cat5e cable , since its already run and the moeny spent what you have will work just fine.

Old 11-20-05, 09:00 AM
J
Thank you for your time and expertise mango man!!! Theres alot out there on the subject and it gets confusing!!!

Old 11-20-05, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by jucream
Thank you for your time and expertise mango man!!! Theres alot out there on the subject and it gets confusing!!!
it can be confusing , glad I was able to help