Help with rewiring direct line for DSL please

Old 12-09-05, 02:39 PM
buckhowie
Visiting Guest
Smile Help with rewiring direct line for DSL please

Howdy all, and thanks for reading. I just recently rewired my phone lines in my house. I have 3 lines in total. One in kitchen for voice, one in living room for satellite TV functions, and one in computer room for DSL line.

Everything works OK, but I'd like to maximize my DSL throughput since I'm paying for it, and get all that I can. I've done the filter on each line thing, and the DSL worked good, but I think I can get it to go faster. Right now it's hooked up directly to my NID box with regular 4 wire cable (I wired all the wires to proper colors on all lines...is this correct, or even necessary? Or, all the blacks for the 3 lines on the black terminal, all the reds for the three lines to the red terminal, same for green and yellow. Do all four wires need to be connected?) Odd thing is, I had it hooked up this way before I rewired, and my DSL speeds were a bit more consistent than they are now. Now it fluctuates quite a bit.

Anyways, I've read all over the net, even on this forum, and am still unclear as to how to hardwire my DSL so it doesn't pick up interference. I have purchased 100 feet of CAT5E cable, but that started the confusion.

My NID box is 12 years old and has the 4 terminals for wire (Black, yellow, green, red). I'd like to put a splitter on it. At least from what I've read, this is the way to go. My questions are:

CAT5E cable comes in 4 pairs, where old telephone wire (and my box) have four terminals. If I wire a splitter next to my original NID box, what wires do I use, and which terminals do I connect them too on my NID box?

I've seen wiring diagrams on the net, but they only made me ask more questions : )

So, to sum up: Have 4 terminal box, have CAT5E cable, and will purchase splitter. How the heck do I wire old box to splitter, and then splitter to DSL jack? Which wires do I use (colored pairs, etc; each pair to one terminal or split pairs). Do I wire my other 2 lines (Voice and Satellite) from the splitter, and which wires do I use? I'd like to upgrade the satellite wire to CAT5E also. This wouldn't be a problem accept for crawling under house and pulling it up. Which wires would I use for that? (Again, wire pairs to terminal, or split wires, and which colors to each terminal?)

I know this is long, and I probably could've said it in four sentences what I needed to know, but hell, It's typed now and I ain't deleting!!! : )

Thanks for any help.

buckhowie

Last edited by buckhowie; 12-09-05 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-05, 02:58 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You wasted your money.

What you have is about as good as you are going to get. You might see a slight improvement with a better wire, especially if you are careful about how and where you wire it, but you probably won't notice the difference.

All of these devices need two wires. In old terminology these are called "tip" and "ring". In the four wire cable you have these are usually the red and green wires.

The fact that you have three lines from the NID, one to each location is better than if you had a daisy chained line.

Old 12-10-05, 10:19 PM
T
you dont need to connect every wire. red/green or blue/blue white will due.the more locations the circuit shows up at, the longer the loop length will be,which can slow it down.so if you have jacks all over the house and its a big house,thats going to be a long loop.the satellite connected to the line could cause a problem.as far as the NID is concerned,if you have it outside, theres a capacitor in it and sometimes that can effect your DSL. call verizon and see if they can update it.they can also wire a filter at the NID instead of having to plug filters in your jacks.

good luck

Last edited by Tip & Ring; 12-10-05 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-11-05, 05:25 AM
Press2Esc
Visiting Guest
I disagree... A dsl homerun eliminates problems with homes using ancient (station) wiring, phone jacks diasy-chained or wired in parallel, having to filter all inside phone equipments, etc, etc. The diff between sending data over a twisted pair CAT5 vs traditional non shielded - voice grade wire is a no brainer - especially as DSL and cable approach 3~6Mb...

If the poor wiring is a contributor the source of the problem - you are not wasting the money. We all know you run data over poor quality/voice lines but dont expect any miracles.. Also, you can run cheap gas in a Ferrari - but expect to win any speed races...

P2E

Originally Posted by racraft
You wasted your money.

What you have is about as good as you are going to get. You might see a slight improvement with a better wire, especially if you are careful about how and where you wire it, but you probably won't notice the difference.

All of these devices need two wires. In old terminology these are called "tip" and "ring". In the four wire cable you have these are usually the red and green wires.

The fact that you have three lines from the NID, one to each location is better than if you had a daisy chained line.

Old 12-11-05, 06:48 PM
R
P2E,

In his original post buckhowie clearly stated that he already had a home run. He does not have daisy chaining. Further he states that the wiring (or at least the wiring job) is recent. What he does not have is twisted pair wiring.

As I stated, he might receive some benefit, but he won't see it.

Remember, the wiring from the pole (or junction box) to his house is NOT twisted pair; The wiring from the central office to his pole (or junction box) is NOT twisted pair. A little section of twisted pair in his house will mean nothing.

Old 12-11-05, 11:19 PM
buckhowie
Visiting Guest
Reply from buckhowie...How it turned out

First, I'd like to say thanks for the responses...good, bad, or indifferent...any response means gained knowledge in most cases.

I would like to say to racraft that you might want to choose your words a bit more wisely. To come straight out and say I wasted my money is a bit blunt and none of your business. What I spend my money on is my problem.

Second, it wasn't a waste of money. Originally I hardwired the DSL to the NID box with new 4 wire line. I then stated that my DSL speeds were fluctuating after this install. So, my problem was not only could I get the DSL to go faster, but how to stop the fluctuation in speeds.

I rewired today with the same configuration, except used the cat5e cable instead. (NO splitter, just filters on each line as before.) And my speeds for the DSL have been extremly consistent after multiple tests.

So, did I get the faster speeds...NO. Did I increase my consistency for speed...YES. I don't see that as a waste of money. I'm getting better than 90% of my advertised DSL speed which is excellent in most cases.

So, racraft, I'd say you were right in me probably not seeing speed increases, but you were wrong in saying I wasted money. Seven bucks for better cable, more consistent speeds, and the ability to upgrade in the future seems like a worthwhile investment.

I appreciate your response, but please have more courtesy in how you respond to posters in the future. You're there to help...not to preach.

thanks all,

buckhowie

Old 12-12-05, 05:09 AM
R
buckhowie,

I did not mean to preach or sound like I was. Sorry for offending you. I'm glad you have resolved your problem. I think your resolution had more to do with redoing the connections rather than the cable being changed, but what is important is that your speed fluctuation has settled down.

Old 12-12-05, 10:36 AM
buckhowie
Visiting Guest
Thanks Bob

Appreciate the apology. And all is going good. Happy holidays.