Connecting our gate system with our phone system

Old 01-25-06, 04:04 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connecting our gate system with our phone system

Hi all!
We recently moved into a new house. We have a DoorKing 1812 gate system. For a few days, before the previous owners of the house canceled their phone service, we were able to use the phone to control some of the gate commands (ie: open the gate and close the gate). Once they disconnected their phone and we had our phone connected, we were no longer able to access the gate with our phone. I managed to find the instruction manual for our gate system online and tried to follow the instructions for wiring the gate to the phones. The instructions say to find the telephone company demarcation device or TCDD (aka "telephone network interface") which I did. It then says to, "identify the wires that connect to the homeowners telephone" which I did. It says to disconnect these wires from theh demarcation device and connect them to terminals 7 and 8 on the by-pass switch, which I did.

Then it says, "Connect a twisted-pair telephone wire to terminals 1 and 2 on the by-pass switch. Connect the other end of these wires to the telephone company demarcation device where you removed the wires in step 2". I don't have any twisted pair telephone wire, but I have regular outdoor telephone wire. I tried to connect the wire that I have to terminals 1 and 2 and then to the place where the wires were removed in step 2 and I don't get a dial tone.

Does it matter which wire goes in which terminal? For example, on my TCDD, a black wire was connected to a green terminal and a yellow wire was connected to a red terminal. Does it matter if the black or the yellow wire is connected to terminal 7 or terminal 8? The instructions do not mention polarity, so I don't know if this is an issue. I tried to connect the wires using all the possible configurations I could think of, but I just couldn't get it to work. So, I reconnected the phone wires to the TCDD. The phones are working, but I really need to get this gate/phone connection to work. Based on my description of what I am doing, does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong. Any help will be much appreciated!!

Old 01-25-06, 04:40 PM
polarity dosnt matter on modern telephone equipment its dobtfull that would be the issue easy enough to check though (just reverse it)

I have done gates before and recall them to be stright forward, from the telco to the gate back to the house .

are you sure the bypass switch isnt set to bypass ? the purpose is to bypss the gate and send the line directly to the house . there should be switch of some sort on the bypass switch be sure its set to gate (again try both ways )

Old 01-25-06, 10:44 PM
E
Nope. The switch is set to entry, not by-pass. I thought this was pretty straightforward myself. Which is why I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out what is wrong. Even though I have never done anything like this before, it doesn't seem too hard. I was hoping if i detailed the steps I took, someone who has done this before could catch something I missed. The wiring from the gate to the by-pass switch is fine and i know the phone company didn't mess with that. It is just the wiring from the telephone network interface to the by-pass switch that I can't figure out.

Old 01-26-06, 08:13 PM
sounds like what you need at this point is expertise and tools .

I would take my test set and verify dialtone at each point along the way .

if you are going thru the bypass switch and have dialtone to the house then something is wroing somewhere .

are you sure the cable to the gate is connected to the bypass switch ?

can you run dialtone directly to the gate , bypassing the bypass switch ?

is the power on at the gate unit ?

my recollection is it comes from the nid to the bypass switch , out to the gate back to the bypass switch then to the house .

if you have a alarm or dsl it could affect it also

lots of things that somebody with tools and telephony knowldge could check on site hard to say with a few words here

might be time to give somebody a call .

Old 01-29-06, 07:21 PM
E
I would love to work with some tools before I call in the expertise. Is there anything I can pick up at Radio Shack that would help me out with this? I am sure that the cable to the gate is connected to the bypass switch. There is definitely power on at the gate unit because we are able to use the keypad to punch in the code to get in. We don't have dsl or an alarm to confuse things.

The reason why I am hesitant to call someone in is because the last time we had a problem with the gate I called a gate repairman who told me it was unfixable and the only solution was a new $3000 gate operation unit. I had to pay him $85 for him to tell me that. After he left, I did a little research and ended up fixing it myself. Mechanically it works fine now. I am just concerned that I am going to call someone in and they are going to either not know what to do, or mess things up even more.

Old 01-29-06, 07:58 PM
get a couple of test leads with alligator clips , hook them to a phone jack and plug a phone in . you now have a poor mans test set will work just as well as my 400 one for this task .

go to the gate clip the leads on to the board and see if you have dialtone , if so then either the gate unit is bad or its wired wrong (maybe he was right and it is bad ),. if not then trace it back .

again it comes from the telco thru the gate then back to your house .

Old 01-29-06, 08:02 PM
just occured to me could your bypass switch be wired backword ?

Old 01-29-06, 10:33 PM
E
I really think it is a wiring problem more than anything else. We were able to use our phone to send commands to the gate up until the day the old phone line was disconnected. Which makes complete sense. When the phone company wired our line, there would be no reason for them to wire it up through the bypass switch (unless we told them to, which we didn't because we didn't know any better). In order for me to wire our phone line between the nid and the bypass switch I need to have 6 wires connected correctly - which I am not entirely sure they are. I need to take the two wires off of the nid, connect them to 2 terminals in the bypass. Then connect 2 wires from the bypass back to the nid. But, for every pair that needs to be connected, there are two different possible spots to connect. How would I know which one was the correct one for that particular wire?

I did notice something which I thought was a little strange and maybe this has something to do with why it is not working. We have one phone line and it is connected by the black and yellow wires. Isn't green and red the standard?

Old 01-30-06, 05:56 AM
red and green is the norm for line one , where there two lines before ?

have you tried using the red/green ?

Old 01-30-06, 09:47 AM
E
The previous owners did have multiple lines. I tried the red and green and got no dial tone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: