Weird Fax Problem

Old 02-04-06, 01:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weird Fax Problem

I've had the same dedicated fax line (simple phone line, no DSL, etc.) for years on which I alternatively use three different fax machines. For the past week, I can't successfully send a fax; although my fax machines connect with the receiving units and handshakes begin, they don't complete ... there's just repeated tones ending up in hang-ups. This happens when I call any fax number from any of my fax machines (and I've called at least five different fax numbers). I can receive faxes, use the phone on the fax machines to call others and receives calls, but I just can't fax. SBC was out, tested the line, and said the line was clean with no problems. I'm mystified as to what the heck is going on. Can anyone give me suggestions? Thanks!

Last edited by spi9959; 02-04-06 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added Detail
Old 02-04-06, 02:34 PM
since its a dedicated line I assume you have other lines have you tried faxing out on them ?

Old 02-04-06, 04:13 PM
Did SBC verify it is good at your nid or at the jack. If they didn't have access inside and only verified it at your nid there still could be a problem inside.

Try plugging directly into the nid. That may help isolate the problem.

Last edited by copper_swapper; 02-04-06 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-05-06, 06:15 AM
After thinking about it I have had that same trouble with dial-up modems.

Make sure that it isn't your machine or inside wiring first. Use it on another line (yours, neighbors, relative, etc)

Then, my theory is your local telephone company has been doing some work in their cable recently. They are continually changing the configuration of the cable plant to meet their current needs. In the process, they have added length to your cable pair either with a temporary half tap or new bridge tap. A very long bridge tap or half tap will cause that problem. At first glance your line will still look good to the repairman. They will need to dig a little deeper.

In a nutshell, verify your stuff is good and isolate the problem to that line. Then call the phone company and tell them you are still having a problem. They should be able to take it from there.

Old 02-05-06, 07:04 AM
as long as the line is within specs for voice communications the telcos resposnsiblity ends , they arent required to troubleshoot data issues on a voice line .

Old 02-05-06, 07:27 AM
Originally Posted by mango man
as long as the line is within specs for voice communications the telcos resposnsiblity ends , they arent required to troubleshoot data issues on a voice line .
In my area we do it all the time even though we don't have to. Customers will keep calling and calling until somebody takes the time and fixes it. It helps with public relations and avoids repeat trouble calls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: