can I shield cat 5e UTP cable with metal conduit?

Old 03-24-06, 07:42 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
can I shield cat 5e UTP cable with metal conduit?

I am replacing the old phone line to my home office with cat 5e UTP cable. There's a bit of noise with the old cable, so I thought I would try this before my basement get finished soon and the basement ceiling is closed up.

In routing the new cat 5 cable, it appears that I'm going to have to get close to some AC power cables along the way.

1) How far away should the cat 5 cable be to avoid interference from the AC power cables?

2) Can I route the cat 5 inside metal conduit, or anything else, for some extra insurance against interference?

Thanks,
V

Old 03-24-06, 07:52 PM
C
Where they must run parallel, keep your Cat5 and power cables at least 1' apart. More space is always better. When they must cross, do it at a 90 degree angle.

I wouldn't think extra shielding is needed. The Cat5 rating of the cable will do a lot for you, simply from the way it is twisted.

Old 03-24-06, 07:52 PM
R
1. Try to maintain a distance of at least one foot.

2. No, not really. It won't help much if you are already using shielded cable.

Old 03-25-06, 04:39 AM
I wouldnt use sheilded cable , it can create more problems than it solves unless its properly grounded .

the metal conduit also can act to induce noise rather than sheild against it unless properly grounded .

Old 03-25-06, 09:17 AM
V
Thanks all for your input. As I said, I'm using UTP (unshielded) cat 5, but perhaps I should consider using STP (shielded) cat 5. Is it really that difficult to ground shielded cable or metal conduit? What are the challenges involved?

Thanks,
V

Old 03-30-06, 12:07 PM
O
Shielded CAT5 is fine for voice or low speed data connections, however shielding can add attentuation at the higher data rates. I would utilize shielding only in those situations where it is absolutely necessary and then make sure to ground both ends, as grounding only one end could enable the shielding to become a big antennae attracting unwanted signals to your wiring. I would recommend that CAT6 for any situation that may require higher bandwidth such as HDTV or Gigabit data (that's where everything is going) and be sure to use CAT6 compatible connectors on both ends.

Old 03-30-06, 12:25 PM
L
Cat 53 cable - metal conduit

I agree with the 1 foot separation and crossing any high voltage perpendicularly where you must cross. I believe the grounded metal conduit would also help, but whether it's worth the extra cost/effort....?
The twist is the key in these cables and so you may find this alone is going to cure your former 'noise,' which I assume was a 60 hz hum or maybe clicks where someone turned some 110 v. device on/off ? So, try not to un-twist any more of the wire length than necessary where you make connections, and follow the color coding recommended since some pairs are twisted tightly and some less tightly, etc., by design.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: