2nd phone line

Old 09-11-06, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
2nd phone line

How do I wire for a 2nd line? The phone company said I need to use the 2 unused wires in the phone cable [yellow & black] Is it as simple as replacing the red & green with the y & b? If so which one goes where?

This line will be used for internet service at 1 jack only. If I let the phone company do it I have to pay for 2 installation charges when they come tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-06, 08:31 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
it depends upon what set of pins the modem uses. If the modem uses the center 2 pins, then yes, it is as simple as removing the r and g and replace with y and b.

If the modem uses the actual 2nd line position, then you would have the y and b on the next out set of pins.

in the NID, if it uses modular plugs into the house, you are set there as is. If it has screw terminals, you need to make sure the b and y are on the appropriate terminals there.

If you need to remove the r and g and replace with b and y, the b goes in place of the g and the y goes in place of the r

This website shows a pretty fair desription

http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/phone_wiring.html

Old 09-11-06, 08:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
thanks nap

Old 09-20-06, 09:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
just an update

Everything went fine on my end, but it took the phone company several days and 2 different crews to complete the job. Besides modifing my phone box and running a 2nd line to the house another crew had to come and replace about 500' of phone line so I could actually use it - hard to get 2 lines out of only 2 wires.