Line Voltage

Old 09-14-06, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Line Voltage

What is the normal voltage[DC?] in the phone line?
Thanks a lot

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-06, 04:03 PM
-48VDC on hook around 6 on, 9V ring voltage.

Old 09-14-06, 04:30 PM
nap
Originally Posted by classicsat
-48VDC on hook around 6 on, 9V ring voltage.

Did you really mean to post this as is? If so, could you explain what the heck it means.

Old 09-14-06, 08:19 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
When the telephone is NOT in use (on hook) the voltage across the two wires (tip and ring) is about 48 volts D.C.

When the telephone IS in use (off hook) the voltage across the tip and ring wires drops to about 6 volts D.C.

When a ringing signal is being sent there is an A.C. voltage "superimposed" on top of the normal D.C. voltage. This "ringing voltage" is nominally about 90 volts at 20 Hertz (cycles) but could be as high as 130 volts and at different frequencies.

Old 09-15-06, 03:09 AM
nap
Thanks. I thought classicsat had missed a 0 in there. Don;t do alot of phone work but was fairly sure of the 90 volts.

Old 09-15-06, 11:20 AM
Red face

Thank you all for replies,I been having problems with the phone, it rings once and the line goes dead,unable to connect computer or connects at a very slow speed etc.Line was checked by tel company and it is OK the problem is in the house.I have a basic knowledege of electronic/electrical but 0 about phones
I tray to isolete diferent sections of the lines in the house,disconected phones etc etc but did not find where the problem is.The company line runs from the pole to a junction box on the outside of the house it is a two wires cable connected to the house line,also two wires.Cant see where, because of finish basement ceiling,this line changes to a 4 wire line that feeds 3 jaks.I clean the wires in the outside junction box and that alone improved the computers connection speed a lot but problems with phone remains
Side Note: while working in the outside junction box with the line disconnected ,the police showed up at my door responding to a 911 call originated from my house!!!WTF is this?My phone line wasnt even connected or ANY of my phones working at the time so i have no idea what happened.
Regards

Old 09-15-06, 03:52 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Do you have an alarm system and is it monitored? If so then it is possible that the alarm monitoring computer tried to call your alarm (to check on its status) and when it couldn't connect the alarm company personnel called the police.

In fact, the presence of an alarm system could be the source of your problem, not so much the alarm but the jack it is plugged into. An alarm system jack is different than a "regular" telephone jack in that it is wired so that the alarm can "seize" the telephone line, in other words, take over the telephone line from all the rest of the telephone jacks in the house. If this jack has loose or corroded connections it could be the source of your trouble.

Old 09-15-06, 04:09 PM
actully I had the same problem (false 911 call ) a few years back

our phone had been out for 2 or 3 days , cops showed up at 2am saying they where responding to 911 call . they where making noise about false 911 call untill I let them in to check the phone themselves .

I saw at thread about it somewhre else and a lot of peaple where reporting similar experiances . somebody came up with a good explantion but I dont recall it right now .

Old 09-15-06, 09:58 PM
No alarm system just 4 jacks and 2 phones,however i do have a second number with a different ring,dont know if this requires a second line[if it does i have no idea where it is]

Old 09-16-06, 05:07 AM
single line , the second number just rings at a diffrent cadence , a spin off of the old party line .

Old 09-17-06, 11:37 AM
Wink

Tnx Mangoman,does Call-Wait requires a second line?
By the way i found the problem with phone to be a shorted jack.
Regards

Old 09-17-06, 02:09 PM
call waiting is a way to handle two incoming calls from one number on one line