Rewiring Phone line (possibly upgrading)

Old 10-01-06, 01:25 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Rewiring Phone line (possibly upgrading)

I live in an old house with an old system of telephone wiring. (2 wires (Red and Green) as shown below.

In the basement:

Each Jack:

I can't look in the outside wiring, because the wires box in up an tall poll. There is nothing on the outside walls. Just wires connecting to the poll.

Now this house had 2 seperate lines, because it is 2 seperate appartment. The second line was disconnected because the formal tenant left a few months ago.

Now there are 4 jacks in total. 2 on each floors. My plans is to rewire them all, and possibly upgrade for the future. I got 2 computers at home, connected to a DSL modem. I get occasionly noise statics on my phone line, even without the modem. But everytime I get a tech person here, they can't find anything wrong.

My second request is to add another jack in the computer room, which has none at the moment. I'm using a long R45 cable from a modem i put in another room where there is a telephone jack.

Now the inside wiring goes through walls and thick floor/ceilings (it's an 1920 house), so maping the same path would be way to difficult. So I'm not sure what to do. May be a bigger problem for the second floor.

Now Which system should I upgrade to. I have got only 2 part time jobs, so financing it might be a problem. that's why I wanted to do it myself instead of hiring someone to the hour to do it for me.

Last edited by nrj33445566; 10-01-06 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 07:22 PM
C
Replace the old station wire with Cat3 or Cat5 and install jacks where you want them.

If possible, still keep the two former living units on separate runs, in case you want to rent it again.

Wiring a 1920s house isn't that hard, if you know how it is built.

You might want to have the outside drop and protectors modernised.

Old 10-20-06, 06:40 AM
N
I bought cat3 wiring. I'm looking at the wiring in the basement and I know where to put the green and red wires, but have no clue where to put the black and yellow ones.

Old 10-20-06, 01:57 PM
R
Nowhere. Leave the other two wires disconnected. They are not needed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: