66 punch down block confusion

Old 11-15-06, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
66 punch down block confusion

Ok, just for a little background, I have a bachelors in telecommunications, and I took a couple voice classes where we had to wire a full 66 punch down to a nortel switch or something like that. But that was 5 years back or so, and it's all hazy now.

I'm trying to wire my in-laws new additioin. I brought a new cat5 line in from the demarc box to my punch down block. I just picked the block up at home depot. I didn't realize there were different kinds of 66 blocks. I snapped off the back, and realized that all the pairs of pins were on their own, and were not connected down the rows or anything. I was assuming that the column would be connected all the way down so that I could just connect my two wires from the demarc box to the two top pins, and then just put any lines coming off of it on the following pins. But not so.

So how can I use this block to terminate about 8 different phones in the house? I've just finished running all my cat5 from the phone locations to this block, but just unsure how to wire them all up cause the columns on the stupid block aren't connected. The way I see it, I can only hook up one line, and that's using a jumper to go across to the other column of pins.

I've searched the forum, and read quite a few posts reguarding this topic but am still confused, so sorry if I just add to the numerous 66 punch down block posts out there.

Help?

FYI: I'm going to be running one phone line into a DSL modem/router, which will go to an 8 port hub, which will connect 8 ethernet lines to an ethernet patch pannel I bought, to send ethernet to all the lines as well. So at each termination point I will have a voice line, a data line, and a video line (RG6 coax.) I'm running the voice and data on the same cat5 cables. I know this is generally looked down upon, but I have done it in the past, and read up on it and there generally are no problems unless you need to run in full duplex mode.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-06, 05:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 34 Posts
66 blocks are not connected vertically; they are connected horizonally. If you check with a meter, you will find that the pair of connections in each half of each horizontal row are electrically connected. You connect the two halves of a given row using a bridging clip (generally sold where they sell the 66 blocks). You can use the non cutting side of the punch tool to set a continuous set of floats down the inner row to jumper muliple rows together.

These really weren't designed for distibuting a single line the way you want to, but it's not too hard to pull off.

Old 11-15-06, 07:13 PM
Thanks, I spoke to a friend of mine, and he reminded me how we did it. Just like you were saying, run one wire down the one side, and jumper them all together. Should work fine.
Thanks.

Old 12-12-06, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
not the best method, but wax on, wax off is what they say.. ha... actually, loop in, loop out, all the way down the block, then punch with the non-cutting side of your punch tool...

Old 12-12-06, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by frhrwa View Post
not the best method, but wax on, wax off is what they say.. ha... actually, loop in, loop out, all the way down the block, then punch with the non-cutting side of your punch tool...
Cool, thanks bro.