dial-up ISPs

Old 12-05-06, 09:13 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dial-up ISPs

I'm losing my broadband internet service. Will be quite a shock going from 6 Mb/s download speed to 56 Kb/s. I need a cheap dial-up service. Are they all the same or are there any I should stay away from? I've never had dial-up.

Any opinions and reasons for same?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 09:25 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
There are definitely differences. There are also a lot of providers who are only local, so the best bet is to look up Internet Service Providers in the yellow pages and see who's there.

Old 12-05-06, 09:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
There used to be a web site that rated all the ISPs available in your area but I don't remember what it was - maybe google will help.

Most dial up prices range from $10-$25, I doubt there is a nickels worth of difference between them. I use netzero and as far as dial up goes I guess it works fine - they do charge for tech support although I've never had the need. AARP advertises peoplepc for $5 to start and then $10 after whatever time frame.

Old 12-05-06, 10:13 AM
S
Smile

AT&T, when I used it, was $14.95 per month and was VERY good. Not sure if they are still around. You could also ask your local phone company. I'm sure they have one.

The ones to stay away from are AOL and MSN because they are expensive and load your PC with unnecessary software.

DSL can be cheap too. That would be your best bet if it is available.

Good luck.

Old 12-05-06, 10:52 AM
P
Thumbs up

I live in the country and can only have dial up at this point (except for satellite, which is WAY too expensive). Some of the major ISP's tend to get a lot of advertising. I am currently using Copper.net and have been pretty happy with them. it is 9.95 a month, or 99.00 a year, and includes tech support. they offer another ISP called basic.net which is only 6.95 a month, but charges for tech support. Until recently, there was never much spam. It has picked up lately and they are trying to keep their filters up to snuff. Spammers are constantly getting more efficient at their craft. But, it's pretty easy to see that they are spam without opening them...just delete. But if you want an inexpensive, reliable dial-up, give them a look. Just do a google search for copper.net