splice, & add wire to phone lines in attic

Old 03-14-07, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question splice, & add wire to phone lines in attic

Hi,

For the past month, I have been working on a huge attic project. My goal has been to end up with easily accessible attic storage. Thankfully, my project is now almost complete! I've just a few odds & ends to finish up. True to Murphy's Law, problems are persisting
I have a problem with the phone lines in my attic. At some point in my home's 17-year history, extra phone lines were added. (I suspect that the builder only installed 3 jacks, and later jacks were added to each room of the house.) When the lines were run, the installers skimped with the wire. The wire crisscrosses everywhere. Unfortunately, this is now a problem for me.
My attic now has a lot of wonderful new shelving. Two lengths of phone wire run directly in front 4 shelves. (I would have moved the wire out of the way, but there is NO slack at all. When putting in the shelves, I had to work over them.) If I want to use my shelves, I have to move the lines. Therefore, I'd like to know if I can safely cut the lines and splice in extra length? I'd be careful not to mix up the lines. By adding extra length to the lines, I'll be able to move the wires out of my way. (I know how to install & hook up jacks)
My questions: What is considered an acceptable splice? Do I need to solder? Isn't there a nice pre-fabricated part I can buy, designed for just this application? If this can be done, do you know where I can read about splicing phone wires? Isn't it like electrical wiring? (Like wire to like wire?)
I appreciate any help or advice. I hate to even think about what the phone company would charge to do this. As usual, I'm looking forward to brilliant solutions and information from you DIY Gurus.

Thanks Anna.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-07, 05:13 AM
no problem splicing , look for 3m scothlock ur2 like this

http://www.radioshack.com/sm-4-pack-telephone-wire-splice-connectors--pi-2062793.html

home depot /lowes carries them in 10 packs

get some new wire , cut existing splice a piece of new on one end , then splice the other end and your done

Old 03-15-07, 05:37 AM
Smile Apologies for cluttering the site. Found info...

Hi,
I just found the information I need in replies posted by Mango man in response to this thread: TELEPHONE WIRE CONNECTORS; Posted 08-12-05, 04:46 PM.

An advanced search produced 55 threads. I persevered & plowed (read) thru all the replies. The thread with all the pertinent info was the 55th one!! (That darn Murphy's Law --- again!!)

I'm now off to (that place), to buy 3M ScotchLok Butt Connectors. If all goes as I predict, I'll have this project completed by noon. Ah heck..... if I'm really on a roll..... I can be amid an entirely NEW PROBLEM by noon!!! Thanks, Anna

Old 03-18-07, 09:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
never heard them called butt connectors, so, you might ask if they are ice cubes... basically, the wire goes into small holes (without skinning the insulation!).. then you mash the cube (we use a scotchloc tool) with a pair of pliers in the open jaw position.. that makes the connection on the inside, which by the way has silicon in them to keep oxidation from making your lines noisy.. Grabar electric has these, Home Depot and Lowes may have them, they are coming up with a lot of telephony equipment now.. good luck I looked at Lowes today.. they do have the connectors (splices).. 3 wire red...

Last edited by frhrwa; 03-20-07 at 08:28 PM.