phone line going underground

Old 09-26-07, 02:36 PM
T
Received 50 Votes on 49 Posts
phone line going underground

anyone know what's involved in putting an existing ATT home overhead single line phone drop underground? Do I dig the trench and run conduit like I did for the power company lateral? What wire do they use, is it typically run in conduit, and how deep does it go?
It will pick up my new electrical service ground rod at the house side, and optimally, will run directly over the existing power run.

Old 09-27-07, 01:56 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You need underground "direct burial" telephone cable. Every industrial installation I've seen also uses conduit. Try not to splice inside the conduit, since the conduit will eventually fill with water -- it's inevitable.

Old 09-27-07, 06:04 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ask the phone company what is involved. They want people to call and ask these questions, rather than to simply guess and get it wrong.

Any answers you get here may not be correct for YOUR part of the country and YOUR phone company. Rules vary around the country.

Old 09-27-07, 06:37 AM
the phone company drop is their property, the service is regulated up to the NID (meaning everything up to that point must be done by the telephone company its illegal for you to do any work on their side of the NID ) so you need to contact them and see if they will allow a buried drop and if so what you can do yourself

Ive never seen residential drop in conduit around here its only buried around "6 or so at most the old joke is you lay it on the ground and kick some sand over it

Old 09-27-07, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I had mine run in conduit, 1.5", along with the cable run. The phone tech ran 6 line wire and was thrilled that I had used 1.5" instead of the 1/2"-3/4" he had typically seen homeowners use.

You'll need at least 1' of separation between power and phone.
In addition, here in florida, it has to be at least 24" below grade.

Old 09-27-07, 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
In addition, here in florida, it has to be at least 24" below grade.
24" is certainly not the norm in FL or a "has to be " the norm for residential burial is a large spade like device or a shovel dropped in the ground and worked forward and back to create a trough to put the cable in and then its boot stomped shut . if its going over a root the cable is often left exposed .

Old 09-27-07, 07:44 AM
T
Received 50 Votes on 49 Posts
silly me

I would have supposed that ATT would have enforced a very regulated technique for this underground service. In any case all your comments are very helpful for my next step.

Old 09-28-07, 06:26 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Guess your local code is different. Mine clearly stated 24" for data, 36" for electrical. Sub lines can be shallower (18" in conduit for electrical for example, 24" without), but not feeders.

Old 09-28-07, 04:00 PM
Stretcvhing the subject a bit, it's funny that I often see in new neigborhoods, where the cable and telephone pedestals are next to each other, and the cables are just laying on the ground for weeks, running over to the house. Invariably, one will come bury their cable. Then later the other will come to bury theirs, and end up cutting the first. I've seen this happen countless times. I don't know why these idiots don't just hire one guy to bury them both. it would save money two ways.

Old 09-28-07, 04:55 PM
along the same lines , I do some subcontracting , sometimes we go in and pull data to the same spots that someone else has already been paid to pull phone or vice versa sometimes where the phone guys some times the data guys since labors obviously the big cost somebody isn't using sense in their awarding contracts

Pendragon
I wonder if the 24" code for data applies to telco drops ?

I believe their exempt from a lot of local codes

and would incoming dial tone be considered data ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: