Telephone Problem

Old 09-28-07, 08:19 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Telephone Problem

I have a lot of static on my phone line whenever there is a thunder storm and can barely here someone talking due to the static. This only happens when it rains. I only have one phone and but do have wireless internet and satelite services through AT&T. I looked outside for wiring problems. It seems that the ground wire to the phone runs buried through my flour bed and hooks up to a 4X4 wooden post about 1 foot above ground. The wire is hooked up to a small two inch box. It appears to be a ground surge protector. My pet chewed on the wire and not it is not hooked up. Could this be the problem for the phone static during a storm or rainy weather. The phone works fine if there is no storm or rain. Why is this wire hooked up to a wood post? I thought it would be hooked up to a medal post. In addition, why is the wire running so far from the telephone box? Why can't I shorten the wire and hook it to some metal pipe closer to the telephone box using another wooden post with the surge protector? Please help. I am just confused about what is the proper way to ground this and if this is the problem. Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Old 09-28-07, 08:35 AM
lack of ground doesn't have anything to do with static look elsewhere for your static issues

the ground is the telephone company's responsibility and must be done by them its part of the NID which is on the regulated side

call repair and explain the situation

my guess is somewhere along the line another DIY'er moved the ground (if in fact what your seeing is the ground)

Old 09-28-07, 03:53 PM
N
Hey Jack....... you'e just described the hardest problem for a telephone repairman to find, BUT real easy if you know how!! That box you're talking about on the 4x4 is a interface box or demarcation point, separates the Telephone company's stuff from your stuff, gray I assume. There should be a jack on it that you can plug a phone into. Next time you get static, leave a phone off the hook in your house, then go outside with another phone and plug it in. You will get the beep, beep, beep for awhile but it will go away to dead air. If you hear the static, have someone hang up the phone in the house. If the static goes away, the problem is towards your house (probably where your pet chewed the wire). If the static is still there, then it's beyond the demarcation point towards the telephone company's equipment. Static is always a loose connection or a bad splice... seeing as you said your wire is buried, trees aren't an issue.... I'd also have someone move the wire around where your pet chewed on it Maybe it's just got friction tape wrapped around it (doesn't stop water very well)...has to be waterproof...Cheers.
An old retired Bell Man.

Old 09-29-07, 06:37 AM
R
Contact the phone company. It sounds like water is getting into the line, and that it needs to be replaced. This is a common problem.

Old 09-30-07, 05:49 PM
It may not even be at your house. It could be a pedastal up the street, or who knows. Of course, years ago I had a customer with a phone jack on their deck in a weather proof box. After the phone company blamed the alarm, ( a tactic used on the initial call far more often than not), I went out, and after much troubleshooting located the box full of water.

Old 10-01-07, 04:54 AM
B
Once you prove the trouble in or out (to the pone company side).Call phone com,if it's out. The Pic wires (main cable feed) in your area have gotten water in the cable over the years,after a time they (copper wires) start to break down ,plus the plastic insulation starts to bread down. The new rain causes the static between the bad wires.

Old 10-01-07, 06:34 AM
Contact the phone company. It sounds like water is getting into the line, and that it needs to be replaced. This is a common problem.

more likely to be house wiring than on the telco side .

staples through house cabling often manifest themselves this way

so far the op hasn't isolated to telco side in fact hes not even sure where the NID is

Old 10-01-07, 08:34 AM
R
I disagree. A problem that only occurs when it is raining is almost always outside the house, and a telephone company responsibility.

Old 10-01-07, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
I disagree. A problem that only occurs when it is raining is almost always outside the house, and a telephone company responsibility.
not so at all ,

rain =humidity

humidity = moisture

moisture can = static

cable stapled to the eves of a house , in a attic near a window etc etc etc can get damp , bridge and cause static

far more often see that than outside

simple test and it hasn't been preformed yet disconnect at the NID and you know for sure

but a blanket statement

that its is

almost always outside the house, and a telephone company responsibility.
shows a lack off real world experience in troubleshooting this problem

and is poor advice

Old 10-01-07, 02:34 PM
R
I stand by my statement.

However, a test at the NID is always the first step, since the phone company will want to know that a test has been done there, and if the problem still exists.

Old 10-01-07, 02:39 PM
static

Rain/humidity have an affect on the entire line. Inside or out, buried or aerial from the jacks clear to the Central office. Without some isolation it is only a guess at this point. Check at the interface as described and then go from there.

Old 10-02-07, 03:46 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'll go along with moisture as the culprit, especially since the OP wrote: "My pet chewed on the wire and it is not hooked up." One puncture on a telco or cable line can cause major problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: