Old 07-26-08, 12:45 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
punch down block

howdy everybody
I have a large punch down block in my basement
66B or some such model number
is there a way to remove all the wires from the block without damaging the wires?
I want to redo all of them so I may install a second phone line
the 4 standard telephone colors wires from each cable are all connected to the block
thanks

Old 07-26-08, 10:57 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
There are several different styles of "66" blocks and I don't know which particular style you may have. Generally speaking all the conductors from each jack will be "punched down" in order which gives you (in the case of two-pair wiring) several "blocks" of four terminals each on the entire 66 block. You then use "strapping wire" (just more of the telephone wire) to "cross connect" to the incoming Central Office (CO) lines.

A picture of your installation might help. Pictures need to be first uploaded to a photo hosting site and then the URLs posted here.

But to answer your original question...just pull the wires out of the block and then re-punch them.

Old 07-31-08, 08:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If all wires are punched down on the 66 block, i.e blue, blue/white, orange, orange/white, then there is no need to remove any wires. Line 1 will be on the blue pair and line 2 will be on the orange pair. The most you should have to do is connect the line 2 pair at the NID.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: