Structured Wiring Control Panel Location

Old 01-01-09, 11:42 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Structured Wiring Control Panel Location

I'm wanting to upgrade my house with data/phone/video to several rooms while I have walls open during my refurb. My first question regarding the structured wiring is about the location of the control panel. Are there guidelines regarding where to put the main networking panel or where NOT to put it?

Can the panel itself go in an attic, or would the heat of the attic be bad for the various data/video/phone modules or appliances in the control panel? What about in a basement that is only storage, just slightly damp during times of extreme rain, but normally dry but cold in the winter?

I'm trying to get the distribution panel closer to the end of the house where most of the termination points will be in order to save cable cost. But the house is very small (2 br, 1 bath), and finding a closet to put the panel in is proving quite difficult due to already existing shelves, studs too close together, etc.

But I'd like to know what my options are for a quality end product before spending time trying to decide.

Thanks.

Old 01-02-09, 04:41 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Where do the ulitilities enter the house? (Electrical panel, NID, cable TV, etc.) If the new panel needs power for CATV amps, router, modem, that is a consideration. Another is access. It's not required to have easy access -- it just makes things a whole lot easier to troubleshoot.

Electronics gear generally has an operating range of about 15 degrees to 115 degrees. High humidity may affect the cabling terminations over time (at which time all you'd need to do is re-punch), but it shouldn't bother the powered electronics.

Old 01-02-09, 06:39 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Utilities are basically all connected on the end of the house opposite to where all the data/phone/video jacks will be. However, when I bought the house, the method of distribution of cable TV and phone was to run wires all around the outside of the house. So I literally have coax and phone wires running from the connecting end all around the house in and around gutters, windows, doors, tucked in the siding, etc.

I thought I'd try to take ONE main lead from both the cable TV and phone, through the attic to a more central location in the house and feed the network control panel from there. I can pretty much put in any needed AC as I'm re-wiring the house anyway. I've already completed about 1/3 of the rewiring and wall are still open in many areas.

But with a 15-115 degree range for temps, that sounds like the panel at least must be either in the basement or a conditioned portion of the house. Either the garage or attic would likely get colder in the winter, and the attic could probably top 115 in the summer here in Missouri.

Old 01-03-09, 12:50 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The basement would be my choice over the attic.

I know your pain. Before I bought the house lazy cable installers had run their lines in and out as they saw fit, drilling through the siding in several areas. In the master bedroom, they drilled through the exterior wall to get inside, then ducked under the carpet, through a baseboard to get into the wall, up the wall into the attic, and then down through a top plate to the wall plate of an interior wall. Hacks!

If they had spent a few minutes looking at the house, they would have seen the phone wiring running through a main chase from the basement to the attic, where it then dropped into each room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: