DSL in 30 yearold home.

Old 01-15-09, 10:08 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question DSL in 30 yearold home.

Right, tried searching over the forums to avoid cluttering your site, but I didn't find anything too helpful to my situation.

I live in a home that is just about to reach its 30th year. The phone wiring is just as old, and while it works perfectly fine for voice, it doesn't seem to be up to par for DSL use. Not surprised. Here's my situation however.

I have the (is it old?) yellow/black/red/green wire set up. I'll post a picture of the demarc box just because I'm not too familiar with it. I'm thinking it would be easy to use a DSL splitter so that I would 'intercept' the line. I could then run 1 line to the house (voice) and have another line go around the side and through the wall into the room where the DSL gateway is.

My background with wiring is kind of restricted to tinkering with bread boards and circuit boards, but I feel confident I could set it up if I could find the splitter that would be right.

Any suggestions? Should I look at this another way?

Picture of the demarc box. Ask any questions if you can't quite see something.

You'll notice the fact there are 2 blocks. The one on top is the remnant of a second phone line.

Last edited by Toxeia; 01-15-09 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 03:59 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Your idea sounds good, except all you need to do is buy a DSL filter for the voice side of the wiring. The DSL wiring can run direct to the NID. You don't need a splitter.

Old 01-16-09, 05:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Would that still mean I'd be using house wiring for the data portion?

Old 01-16-09, 09:52 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Install the DSL filter between the red & green terminals and the two wires that are currently connected to it to feed the house phones. Run your second cable from the red & green terminals to the DSL modem. The filter will affect only the voice lines.

All the DSL filter does is low-pass the voice signals. The modem doesn't need a filter.

However, in re-reading your original post I saw that you don't think the existing wiring is "up to par" for DSL. Have you tried the DSL on the existing wiring?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: