question about a CB radio

Old 07-20-09, 11:00 PM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
question about a CB radio

I just recently converted a PC power supply for 12volt usage for my cobra cb radio and i connected it correctly power wise but i had no antenna or mic hooked up ,i just wanted to see if it would turn on or if i could hear anything.

I read somewhere (afterwords) that if this happens and i turn it on a key the channel knob that id burn out a diode and some other stuff. Is this really true? I hope not ,i really hope i didn't do that ,it smelled kind of funny too but it still lit up ok and i didn't see any smoke but that doesn't mean something didn't happen.

it didn't get hot, It was connected for like 15 min

If this did happen and it's quite common do you think it's possible to replace and repair these ruined parts?

I would just like to know in advance because i cant even tell if it works ,i have no other equipment for it.

I can use a soldering gun

Old 07-21-09, 06:54 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes, you should NOT key the mike on a CB radio without an antenna load connected, or you could burn out the output transistors. However, you said you just turned your radio "on" to see if it would power up and did not have a mike hooked up to it, so without a mike, you could have not keyed the transmitter on. It would not have hurt anything if you merely turned the volume or channel knobs. As long as the mike wasn't connected, the transmitter section never came into use, so I don't think you have harmed your CB radio.

Old 07-23-09, 03:58 AM
Z
I have a few more questions out of curiosity

Is it a good idea to have the power cord fused?

What king of power is suitable for this ,i know it runs on 12volt but what amperage or does this even mater.

if connected it would be 12volts at 4.2 amps seen how im not using a car

and i noticed that one of the power contacts doesn't make contact with anything?

Old 07-23-09, 05:48 AM
C
You should have a fuse 3A fast blow is typical.

The 12V 4.2A supply is plenty.

A lot of CB Radios use a standard 3 pin power connector, with the 3rd pin unused.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: