Fake Out Security System - No land line

Old 09-01-09, 06:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fake Out Security System - No land line

I have eliminated my land line and my Brinks security system now shows a communications error. How can I get rid of this error? Can I apply voltage on the phone jack of the alarm system? How much voltage?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-09, 06:30 PM
post in the alarm category and see if someone can tell you how to turn the phone monitor off

phone line is around 50 volts DC

Old 09-06-09, 07:53 AM
If you have a voip service the ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) could give you a new line.

dsk

Old 09-06-09, 08:43 AM
I guess if the control panel calls Brinks HQ to check in that I still have a problem. I don't want to pay $30-40/month for their service.

Old 09-06-09, 09:25 AM
Post your question in the Home Security Alarms section as I received feedback from the forum. I was able to change the settings in my alarm so that it would not call the monitoring company, but call my cell phone instead. Works great!

Electronic Alarms and Home Security Devices - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 09-06-09, 09:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Wasn't that your post over in Alarms where they explained it can't be done because of the proprietary nature of Brinks panels? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...rm-system.html

Old 09-06-09, 10:43 AM
Yes, sorry for the cross posts. I was not paying attention to the forum to which I was replying.

Old 09-06-09, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
No problem. Sometimes things like this can be very frustrating. Bottom line proprietary probably means programed chips which can't be altered.

Old 09-06-09, 04:37 PM
I see the basic question has been answered , but just in case you still need to know:

"regular" telephone service battery voltage is typically 48 volts DC. Centrex lines are about 37 VDC, and a PBX might be just 24 VDC. So a system designed for broad usage on telephone systems probalby accepts anything in this range. It is a little more complicated, however. All phone lines have a certain amount of resistance in series, this being the "A" relay at the CO and the length of wire to your house. So if you were to short circuit the two leads at your house, the maximum current would fall, if memory serves, in the range of 20 ma to 200 ma. Something like that , anyway, and if you were to want to power that alarm system, I think you would have to account for this.

Old 09-07-09, 08:39 PM
Received 21 Votes on 17 Posts
The lack of the proper voltage and/or current on the line was not the problem, it was that the Brink's panel periodically communicates an "all's well" message to the alarm center. Without telephone service it couldn't communicate and therefore was generating the trouble signal.

I had the same problem with my ADT panel (a modified Moose) that I couldn't fix until I swapped the panel for an unmodified Moose I had lying around.