Changing my phone jack. (DSL)

Old 12-27-09, 06:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Changing my phone jack. (DSL)

I have a DSL phone line which I use for internet only, recently the jack was destroyed from my little brother constantly ripping it out of the wall when he stepped on the phone cord. (The jack wouldnt click it into place). I decided to take the jack apart and try to replace it with a new Jack. Heres my proble,.

There are 2 cords, they each have 2 red wires (same color red) and 2 green wires 1 color light green 1 color dark green.

My black and yellow cords are taped off and I'm 100% sure they were not connected to the line before.. My phone jack has 1 black 1 yellow 1 green and 1 red line.

Someone told me to put 2 green in 1 and 2 red in 1. I did that.. But am I supposed to sandwich the 2 cords between the 2 washers? Also should the wire attached to the phone jack be under the washers? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-09, 07:12 PM
Can anyone help me with my problem???

Old 12-27-09, 07:23 PM
nap
that's a possibility but you only posted your question an hour ago. This is all volunteer and if there is not somebody on here that can help you right now, you just have to wait until somebody with an answer is online here.

I am not familiar with the color scheme of your premises wiring so to start with, can you check your NID and see what colors of the premises wiring are terminated there?

Old 12-27-09, 07:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, under the washers. Do you have a DSL filter at the jack?

Old 12-27-09, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
that's a possibility but you only posted your question an hour ago. This is all volunteer and if there is not somebody on here that can help you right now, you just have to wait until somebody with an answer is online here.

I am not familiar with the color scheme of your premises wiring so to start with, can you check your NID and see what colors of the premises wiring are terminated there?
Idk what an NID is and what you mean... Sorry I'm young and inexperianced..

No DSL filter in the jack I'm replacing the actual jack..

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Yes, under the washers. Do you have a DSL filter at the jack?
Do you mean under BOTH washers?

Old 12-27-09, 08:13 PM
nap
NID- network interface device. it is the box the phone company brings their lines to and your premises wiring is taken to that box and that is where the two are connected.

What i was suggesting is finding out what 2 wires from your house are connected in that box. You only need 2 wires for what you are doing.

and to the washer situation. the wire must be bare and generally you would pinch the bare portion between the two washers. (if you have 2 washers on each screw)

does the back of your jack look something like this? If not, find a pic on the internet and post it here so it will be easier to describe to you what to do.

Old 12-27-09, 08:18 PM
the 2 green and 2 red are the only wires not taped.. and it use to work before my brother ripped it out of the wall too many times (The phone cord)

Old 12-27-09, 08:24 PM

Old 12-27-09, 08:38 PM
nap
don't worry about the NID now. I did not understand what you had before but now it is simple.

take the 2 red wires and put them on the terminal with the red wire going to it and the 2 green wires to the terminal with the green wire going to it.

that should be all you need to do.

Old 12-27-09, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by nap View Post
don't worry about the NID now. I did not understand what you had before but now it is simple.

take the 2 red wires and put them on the terminal with the red wire going to it and the 2 green wires to the terminal with the green wire going to it.

that should be all you need to do.
I have tried that but the router didnt detect the system.. I'm not sure if im putting the cords in the right spot or if im not making the connection good enough.. ill try to take a picture of where i put the wires.

Old 12-27-09, 08:52 PM
nap
since there are two cable involved, that would mean this feeds to another jack. Is this the phone system in your house as well?

If so, when you connect the wires, try plugging a phone into the jack to see if you get a dial tone.

Old 12-27-09, 09:02 PM
it didnt work im not sure what im doing wrong :[

Good news, I got a dial tone and I made a call and it rang once. I didnt wait for someone to pick up as its 12:05 but i got a dial tone and the phone rang.. lol

Old 12-27-09, 09:19 PM
Omg I'm a dunce I had the modem unplugged from when I was cleaning earlier.. You helped me Nap thanks a bunch, ill send the check in the mail

Old 12-27-09, 09:19 PM
nap
you should have dialed somebody that you knew that you would not get in trouble for calling at midnight.

anyway, if you got a dial tone, the line is connected properly. If your system is not seeing the phone system, maybe little brother damaged something else.

Do you have any other cables you can use to replace the one from the modem to the wall? Maybe he jerked the wires loose from their contacts in the plugs.

Old 12-27-09, 09:25 PM
nap
You posted while I was typing. Good to hear you got things working.

Now, put the cable from the wall to the modem so little brother cannot trip on it