new phone jack wire: Code violations?

Old 01-30-10, 06:43 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
new phone jack wire: Code violations?

I added a phone jack to a room years ago. I've never had any trouble with it, but always wondered if the way I did it might create issues whenever we sell this house and it gets inspected.

Another project has brought me into the attic, so if it's wrong, I'll fix it now.

I didn't use wire designed for in wall use. I had 2 very long lengths of in room phone wire with jacks pre-installed at both ends. I cut the jack of one wire end and fed the cut wire into the wall and down to an existing wall jack. Then I stripped and connected all 4 wires to the back of the phone jack. I did the same thing to run another wire to the new wall jack. Then in the attic, I plugged the 2 jack ends from the 2 wires into a connector.

So, is this fine as is or would an home inspector consider it a violation?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-10, 12:07 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
A home inspector may or may not consider it a violation. Most inspectors don't pull the wall plates to see what's behind them. But as long as you already have access, why not replace the cable? Talkin' $20 and a couple of hours.

Think about meeting the next homeowner and having to warn him about it. I wish the previous owner of my home had warned me. His work actually did cause a fire.