I can't find my home phone lines?

Old 05-26-10, 07:09 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question I can't find my home phone lines?

I live in an apartment that was just remodeled on the inside before I moved in. The problem is they just covered all the existing cable and phone lines with drywall and left me to have to pay the cable company to drill through and install new ports - which I did. I really can't afford the $110 installation fee through the phone company when I know there is a port somewhere in my apartment that if I find I can just install my own jack and save some money. So, how do I find it? Is it obvious and I will see the wire entering my house from the outside (what does it look like)? If not how to I trace the wires since I am in a 3 unit apartment to my specific unit? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-10, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Go outside at the 'demark' (the spot where the phone co. line joins with your line--usually a box on an outside wall). Then see how the line enters the house. Should be thru the soffit or drilled directly thru frame or brick. If it's thru the soffit, go in the attic to find line. Make sure to do this when it's cool outside....early morning. If lines go directly into house thru the outside wall, chances are there's a phone line directly below where they go into house. Get a good idea about where it would be (ie. measure from closest window, etc) and then go cut a hole big enough to get your hand into to search for line. You can get a blank faceplate to cover hole afterward if you don't find line. If you have access to a toner & wand (phone tech equipment), you could use those to try to locate line. Also, cut your hole at the same height from floor as other power plugs....usually 12-18" from floor.