Wiring with a station protector

Old 07-07-10, 03:39 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring with a station protector

I have an older home with no network interface device and, instead, a station protector in my basement. The device is exactly similar to this. I have submitted a request to my phone company to get a network interface device. However, I'd like to wire my phone jacks sooner than they'll probably be able to come out. Is there a safe way to wire with my current station protector or should I really just wait for the NID? Also, assuming there's a safe way to do it, it should just be thew two wires for the phone line correct? Right now, the yellow from the telephone wire (regular telephone not CAT3, CAT5, etc.) is connected to the top grounding screw which seems wrong to me.

Old 07-07-10, 07:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
nothing unsafe about connecting to the protector they have been in use for years (long before NIDS ) the only difference between the protector and a NID is the modular jack for customer test purposes

you just need the single pair (two wires ) the third was a ground used in older ringers no need for it but its not hurting anything

I would come off of the protector with a single pair to a 66 block and then tie all your stations into the block that way once they hook up the NID its just a matter of bringing a pair from it to the block

cat 3 or 5 is fine there is no advantage to using 5 and its a bit harder to work but 3 is getting hard to find

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: