Scrolling LED Sign

Old 08-01-10, 08:26 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scrolling LED Sign

Our American Legion Post just purchased a scrolling LED sign. It came with a wireless remote key board, but the written instructions for programming the sign with the remote really suck. I spent hours experimenting with the keyboard with no luck. I finally loaded software into my computer from the included CD, and plugged it into the sign's usb port. By trial & error I was finally able to get some basic sentences onto the sign, but was unable to figure out the fancy stuff like starbursts, cascading words, fireworks, etc. that I know the sign is capable of. Does anyone out there know where I can find an instruction manual written in plain English? Don't ask me what the brand is... it just says 6"x40" 3-color LED scrolling sign. Thanks

Old 08-01-10, 10:08 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I have to ask what about the company you purchased it from? What do they say? Can you return it? Was this an Ebay purchase. Is that why no help from the seller?

Old 08-01-10, 11:55 AM
H
Yes it was an ebay purchase. The seller told me that the only instructions he has are the ones that come with the sign from his supplier. By the way he's selling these things like hotcakes at $250 each. He offered to take the sign back and refund my money (what more can I ask?) so I can't really fault him. But we don't want to return it because it's fundamentally a great sign... we just need to learn how to program it.

Old 08-01-10, 12:03 PM
H
For what it's worth, I think what happened (as with so many imports) was the original instruction manual was probably in Chinese; then someone did a pizpoor job of translating it into English. I mean the manual is totally worthless.

Old 08-04-10, 04:54 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
We buy and install those LED displays (usually from Office Max or somesuch) as part of our commercial installations. The instructions are usually on the CD, and are always sketchy.

I do know that most seem to be made by only a couple of manufacturers, so if you download some manuals you may see a pattern in the programming. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Old 08-11-10, 08:05 AM
H
Thanks, Rick, but 'download some manuals' from where? I see you live near New Buffalo. Me too... New Troy.

Old 08-11-10, 08:08 AM
H
Sorry! Didn't read your location correctly the first time. Buffalo, NY, not New Buffalo, MI.

Old 08-12-10, 04:02 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I live near old, rusty Buffalo.

It probably would have been nice to provide a link: Adaptive 7000.

Old 08-12-10, 06:49 AM
H
Thanks, Rick. Yeah we had a mill near rusty old Buffalo: Bethlehem Steel's Lackawana Plant. I was never there, but worked at their Burns Harbor Plant in Indiana for 35 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: