Odd wire colors coming to NIB (phone cable)?

Old 08-09-10, 08:18 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Odd wire colors coming to NIB (phone cable)?

Hello.

I'm planning on upgrading the communication (phone) cables into/throughout my home from old RJ11 to Cat5e (for both voice and data). Throughout the home the current jacks all the use the standard red/green pairs for wiring — no problem there.

But, when I inspected the phone companies NID, I'm unsure of the wire colors being used. It's an older box, but the colors still aren't making sense to me. I'm talking about the colors of the wires in the cable which comes from the telephone pole to the NID. The colors are as follow:

- white (connected)
- blue (connected)
- red (not connected)
- orange (not connected)

Is this normal?

If so, what do I connect the blue/white blue of my cat5e to?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Kristin.

Old 08-10-10, 04:28 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Sounds normal to me. Red & green on the old house wiring = blue & blue/white on the Cat5.

Old 08-10-10, 04:53 AM
T
Yea, red/green = blue/blue-white is normal and makes sense. That's not where I'm having the issue. I'm having an issue with the colors at the NID/demarcation point - there is no red/green here - instead, as I listed in my original post, the cable's wire colors are:

- blue (connected)
- white (connected)
- red (not connected)
- orange (not connected)

So, I want to replace the cable running from the NID into the house, but I'm unsure where blue/blue-white go (new Cat5e) with respect to the old blue/white/red/orange?

What kind of cable is the old bue/white/red/orange cable currently at the NID? I'm not familiar with that combination of wires with regards to phone cable?

Thanks,
k.

Old 08-10-10, 05:02 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Unless you are using a rotary phone the colors usually don't matter. and even then no harm. Supposedly some electronic phones ate polarity sensitive bur never encountered one. Again just reverse the connections if it doesn't work. Bottom line you have two wires in and two wires out, just hook them up.

Old 08-10-10, 05:18 AM
T
That's what I planned on doing (ie. trial and error), but I'm just curious about the color combination since I've never seen it before (though I admit, I don't have a ton of experience with old analog wiring), nor have I come across it in any of the research I've dine online?
k.

Old 08-10-10, 06:32 AM
R
Like previously said, the color of old four-strand wires connected really doesnít matter . . . colors may differ as it may be imported wire from another country, and Iím not sure U.S. wire colors have been adopted by all 195 other nations.

All of the Cat 5 wire Iíve seen uses the following color codes, and should be connected as follows (doesnít mean that all installers follow the norms):

Line 1
T1 = WHITE w/ blue mark
R1 = BLUE w/ white mark
Line 2
T2 = WHITE w/ orange mark
R2 = ORANGE w/ white mark

The important point is that one phone line requires two strands at NID. In most cases, the other two wires go unused unless home is internally wired for a second line.

If you elect not to connect the two strands for future use of a 2nd line, leave enough tail on them so they can be easily connected should someone prefer two line service.

Telephone Cable Color Code Interpretation | DoItYourself.com

Old 08-10-10, 06:42 AM
T
Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Much appreciated.
k.

Old 08-10-10, 08:25 AM
polarity never mattered on rotary dial phones early western electric touch-tone pads where polarity sensitive and wouldn't dial unless it was correct at this point all phones have polarity guards built in and its not a issue

Old 08-10-10, 11:34 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
polarity never mattered on rotary dial phones
But if ring and tip were reversed you heard the click of the dial was my understanding.

Old 08-10-10, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
But if ring and tip were reversed you heard the click of the dial was my understanding.
I've never heard , observed that or made a cent off reversing polarity for a rotary phone

WECO TT dials on the other hand amounted to lots of service $$$$ reversing polarity and installing polarity guards for a permanent fix

Old 08-11-10, 04:04 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rob R. View Post
All of the Cat 5 wire Iíve seen uses the following color codes ...
Cat5 ethernet has two wiring standards: T568A and T568B.

"A" is backwards-compatible with telephones because the blue and orange pairs are connected to pins 4/5 and 3/6. Data uses the green & brown pairs on 1/2 and 7/8. The original intent was to use one Cat5 cable for both.

"B" has the orange and green pairs swapped and is the more popular scheme in the USA. It is not compatible with telephones.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: