Question - Western Electric Rotary Phone 554 A/B Wall Mount

Old 09-24-10, 04:16 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Question - Western Electric Rotary Phone 554 A/B Wall Mount

Hey everyone. Just joined today... great site! So my mother picked up the phone at a tag sale and I have no idea how its supposed to go into the wall. There is already a jack in the wall. The problem is, this phone doesn't have a phone wire coming out of it. It has a little white plug thing instead. I don't know what this is. Also, I can't seem to figure out how to open this phone up (if I need to). So here are some pics and I hope someone out there knows what I need to do, or get, to make this thing work. Thanks!

Old 09-24-10, 04:32 PM
What does the jack on the wall look like?

If can't hang that phone on it, you might be better off buying a cheap phone for $10 at a discount store. If you have touch tone service, that could be much better. The touch tone may not be on all services in CT.

Dick

Old 09-24-10, 04:44 PM
R
the jack on the wall looks like a regular phone line plug. there is already a mounting plate there, as a phone used to be there. we have the tone dialing here, but im sure this phone will still work fine.
as i wrote in my first post, i need to know what that little white plug is thats in the back of the phone. is there something i need to buy that connects to it? if not, how do i disassemble this phone?
thank you.

Old 09-24-10, 05:24 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
That little plastic thingie you see is a "B" wire connector, a crimp-type wire connector and it has nothing to do with the wall connection. There needs to be a plug that snaps into the hole that then plugs into the wall jack. I assume that the wall jack has the studs above and below the jack proper for hanging the phone.

I'll have to check my books to be certain just how the cover is removed but if I remember correctly there is a spring clip on the bottom, near the center, that needs to be depressed and then the cover lifts off from the bottom.

I checked my book and all it has is wiring diagrams for the 554 set. If it doesn't have a spring then it is a screw, likely headless. It may not need to be completely removed and it may turn in the opposite direction to what you would normally think. It's been over thirty years since I monkeyed with this kind of equipment.

Last edited by Furd; 09-24-10 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-24-10, 07:23 PM
R
furd... thank you for the reply. i took a closer look and noticed a flat-head screw in there, bottom center as you said. i removed the screw and the phone came right apart. okay so ive read i need a red and green wire coming out the back, to hook into the wall. here are some pics i took of what im seeing in the phone. i hope you or someone can help me figure out what to do here. the pics were taken with my cell phone, so i apologize for the quality.

theres a grey and a yellow wire coming out from this little wire-box thing. they werent connected to anything.

here we have 2 wires, red and white, not connected to anything. they go into the phone cord (that connects to the hand piece.)

there are 2 wires here, that come out from this little motor looking thing that sits above the ringer bells. they arent connected to anything. theres a red and a black.

just thought id put this pic here. this is how it was when i opened the phone. i have not added or removed any wires.

so if anyone could tell me what to do to hook this phone up, id appreciate it. yes.. the mounting plate on my wall has the 2 studs for hanging a wall phone. theres a normal looking jack in the center where you can plug a phone line into.
thank you!

Old 09-24-10, 09:36 PM
F
Well, you have a project there! Give me a couple of days to see if I can scan and upload a wiring diagram for you. Meanwhile, the "wire box" thing is called a "network" and there should be four wires coming from the ringer coil.

Maybe Mango Man can offer some help also.

Old 09-24-10, 10:20 PM
F

On the side of the network there is a stencil identifying the various terminals. For color coding G=green, BK=black, BL=blue, S=slate (grey) and if there are two colors the first will be the color of the insulation and the second the color of the stripe.

Old 09-25-10, 07:22 AM
R
Thank you!!!

Hi furd,

Thank you so much for the diagram and all your help. It took me a few minutes to figure out what I was looking at there, but once I learned to follow the diagram, it was cake. The phone is all wired up and it works great! It's actually a pretty easy diagram too. Once you know what the parts are called, its really just about matching colors with letters. So once I did that, I still needed the Line Wire. I read that Red (Ring) and Green (tip) were the 2 important ones. So I stripped an extra phone line I had, and attached the Red wire to the L2 and Green to the L1, as shown in the diagram. Tested it out and it works perfect!
Here's another junky cell phone pic...

mainly showing the phone line i tied into the network box.

As you said, the Network is labeled. Very easy.

Hopefully this will help others as well. I started off just wanting to hook up an old phone. Now I've been introduced to the basics of reading its wiring diagram and wiring the darn thing!

But seriously though furd, Thank You.

Old 09-25-10, 02:16 PM
F
Glad you got it working and thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Old 09-25-10, 04:36 PM
R
Absolutely. well i went to put it on the wall and the wall mount thats already there wont work for this phone. the mounting screws that latch into the slots on the back of the phone are too big and dont line up with the slots in the phone. ill have to check a few stores and hope they carry wall-mount kits for older phones, or phones with smaller slots. but like i said.. the phone is working great. so im about 90% there!
any suggestions on where to get this kit? is it unique, or just another type of standard mount?
also, do you know how to remove the label thats in the center of the dial wheel? theres a label there with an old phone number on it. itd be nice to remove it.
thanks again.

Old 09-26-10, 06:02 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The back of your new (old) phone is the mounting plate. Remove the old mounting plate off the wall. Near the top & bottom of the phone's back plate are access holes where you can insert screws to mount the the phone directly to the wall. They won't line up with the old holes, but you can use one of those holes and install a wall anchor for the other.

If you've installed a plug on the phone you may be able to remove the jack from the old wall plate. Depending on the type, it either bends slightly and pops off or snaps out of its holder.

You can also remove the connectors and crimp the wires to those in the wall. Red to red, green to green. If the wires in the wall are the newer color code, use the white/blue wire to green and blue/white to red.

The clear plastic cover in the center of the dial is held in place with small tabs. Use a small flat-blade tweaker or jeweler's screwdriver to carefully pry the tabs from the slots in the outer edge and the plastic will pop out.

There is one thing you should be aware of: REN, or Ringer Equivalence Number, is the load that the phone presents to the telephone line when an incoming call is ringing. Those old phones have a REN of 1, which is quite high by today's standards. Depending on the quantity and type of other phones in your house, the total REN may be above the telco's limit with the old phone on the circuit. A typical telco line has a max REN of 5. If that number is exceeded, the phones may not ring properly. If you find that to be true, you may have to disconnect the ringer on the Western Electric phone.

Old 09-26-10, 03:23 PM
F
I agree with everything that Rick posted except for changing the number plate. That particular telephone requires removing the dialing wheel to change the number plate. If you go through this forum topic back a year or two there is a thread on how to remove the dialing wheel.

Old 09-27-10, 06:13 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Oops! You're right. Thanks for catching that. The models we use in schools are a different brand, but look identical. They have the plastic insert.

Old 09-27-10, 06:42 AM
for parts on this or any other old or unique phone phoeneco is a good p[lace to start

PHONECO Antique phone, collectible telephone, old telephone

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: