Telephone Wiring Question - RJ11

Old 01-06-11, 06:54 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Telephone Wiring Question - RJ11

Hello,

Quick question about telephone wiring. I ran a new telephone wire up to my office for the DSL modem. I was not going to hook it up to a standard telephone box, was rather just going to put an RJ11 right onto it. Do I need to reverse the order on the wires in the RJ11? I found online that it seems like when you make a standard telephone cord that you reverse the wiring order on one side of the RJ11. If this wire is coming right from the house input in the basement, would I need to reverse order in this RJ11? Sorry if this sounds confusing. I could just try it, but don't want to fry modem if it is wrong or something.

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-11, 08:48 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
Cross wiring is only used with voice services and even there it doesn't make much difference.

Are you stating that you intend crimping a plug on the end of the solid wires run from the network interface and not use a jack? Crimping plugs onto solid wire is a poor practice and often leads to intermittent connections and noise on the line. I strongly suggest that you use a jack on the end of the cable and then a patch cable between the jack and the modem.

Old 01-17-11, 05:14 PM
if you are going to relocate your DSL you should home run it to your dmark or nid usually a gray box outside your home. you should terminate at your modem with a rj11 jack for testing . you will use the red and green wires at the jack and depending on which wire you use make sure you use the colors at both end of the wire, you do not need cat 5 cable cat 3 is better for DSL. it will take a few minutes for your modem to nail up a connection with the CO and your modem internet light will go steady. hope this helps

Old 01-28-11, 06:31 AM
G
Hello Andy,
Just a quick add-on FYI...Make sure the wire you are using is solid copper, not the 50' long "dollar store special" telephone extension wire.
Telephone extension wire, flat wire, or bridal wire, has got stranded copper inside each conductor, adding on line distance for your DSL signal to travel along, which could bog down your signal by creating "echos" that your modem will pick up. ie 50' of bridal wire, that has 25 strands in the red conductor wire just added on 1250' of copper for the DSL signal to cover. Doesn't sound like much, but since DSL signal drops dramatically after 5 kilometers of cable loop length, this distance could make a considerable amount of difference in your speed.
I've done tests at houses that were getting 7 Mb/s, only to see the signal drop to less than 3, because they used bridal wire to wire up jacks in their house. Also, terminate a jack at the end of the run, and use a small patch cord between the jack and the modem. This will also give you the advantage that if you decide later you want to use a telephone in the same location, all you need to do is plug in a splitter to the jack with a filter on the phone side.
And since Cat 3 and Cat 5 wire is coloured differently from the standard 2 pr telephone wire, (Green Red Yellow Black), use the White/Blue (White = Green Blue = Red) for your connections if you use these types of wires.
The pairs are twisted together to reduce/reject "noise" on the line, making for a cleaner signal.

Old 01-28-11, 01:18 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ghepple View Post
50' of bridal wire, that has 25 strands in the red conductor wire just added on 1250' of copper for the DSL signal to cover.
Welcome to the forums.

You've made some great points, but you may want to check the accuracy of the above statement. Stranded wire does not add to the length of a run as you stated. 50 feet of 24 awg stranded has nearly identical electrical properties to 50 feet of 24 awg solid. In fact, there is a slight benefit that stranded wire has over solid due to the skin effect at high frequencies. (Arguably, the benefit may be reduced by the slight increase in resistance of stranded vs solid, but not enough to make a difference over 50-foot runs in a telephone system.)

The main reasons for using one over the other: Solid when the runs are permanently installed because it's cheaper. Stranded when the runs have to move because it's more flexible. That's why data and phone wires are almost always solid when they are run inside walls or between patch panels. Stranded wires are used for patching between wall plates and devices (or patches from panel to panel).

Old 01-29-11, 07:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I don't think the OP is active in this, so I think all you have to do is hook the blue wire to the black.

Old 01-29-11, 07:43 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Agreed.