Digital phone lines, analog fax

Old 01-25-11, 10:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digital phone lines, analog fax

I have a multi-function printer on which the fax quit working. I suspected my phone company had gone digital and the printer guide clearly stated fax would not work on digital line. Bottom line I bought new printer that is supposed to work I tried to fax something last night and got same communication error msg I was getting previously. Have been looking on line for a slolution. Will a DSL filter allow the anolog fax to work on the digital line? I tried to fax to the new machine this morning from work and it appeared to receive the fax ok. Is this a digital/analog problem or have i done something wrong in setup? Sorry for muliple questions in one post!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-11, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
If you sent a fax and the printer recieved it, then its a set up error in sending the fax. Yes you cant send over digital line. You dont want a DSL filter on that line and it will not change anything from dig to ana.....

Mike NJ

Old 01-26-11, 12:21 PM
Quote from user guide, this is why I asked about the filter

HP printers are designed specifically for use with traditional analog phone services. If
you are in a digital phone environment (such as DSL/ADSL, PBX, or ISDN), you might
need to use digital-to-analog filters or converters when setting up the printer for faxing.

Old 01-29-11, 05:02 PM
What type of error message are you receiving from the fax machine?

Did you order a digital line from the phone company, or have another reason to believe that they switched your line to digital? They would switch your service to a digital line without reason (typically).

Do you have DSL service, and do you have a DSL filter on the line to your fax?

When you tried from work, did you take the same machine to your workplace and send a fax using it, or was it still at home and you sent a fax to it from your work fax?

Old 02-01-11, 08:11 PM
i agree never heard of a digital line unless its dsl if so a filter should be placed between the fax machine and the jack to isolate the dsl who is your provider

Old 01-04-12, 08:23 AM
I too have a multifunction Hp that won't work on my cable company's digital line. Best Buy has no idea what filter. Moreover, Best Buy was totally unaware of this problem. What filter???