Quick question

Old 02-01-11, 12:07 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick question

I have AT&T direct DSL (no phone line) and lately i've been trying to solve my connection issues. One thing i've come across is mentions of using UTP cable instead of a normal flat cable.

Right now my setup is just a flat 6" telephone cord running directly from the modem to the NIB. There are no splitters, no wall jacks, nothing of the sort just that one cable. Would replacing this with a twisted pair cord make any difference or is the flat cord just fine?

Also, if I do need to replace it which wires do I use for R/T?

tyia

Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-11, 01:19 PM
6"! Do you mean 6 ft? Not that it matters, because such a short run is unlikely to have any bearing on your "connection issues," whatever that means.

Why don't you start over and describe the symptoms of your problems rather than asking for someone to bless a shot in the dark "solution" based on one thing you came across? It might result in a useful suggestion. Otherwise, try the UTP. It will help you to learn something about what you're dealing with. Use the red/green pair.

Old 02-01-11, 01:28 PM
N
Yes.. 6 ft is what I meant.

I'm not looking for a diagnosis on my connection issues..

See you

Last edited by Gunguy45; 02-01-11 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comments...
Old 02-01-11, 07:54 PM
dsl is a single pair so it will use red green or your center pins on the connector just like a standard phone cable but i doubt this will resolve your connection issue. if your dsl just started having issues it will probly be on the outside cable have a at&t tech check your service and dedicate a pair from the dmark to your modem jack and have them do a ping test from your pc back to the dsl card at the co this should pin point your issue. good luck