Question on sharing same cat5e wire with regular phone line and ethernet line.

Old 03-06-11, 09:50 AM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Question on sharing same cat5e wire with regular phone line and ethernet line.

Hi, I am new here. Don't know much about CAT5e wire system. We just moved into a new house. Builder told us all rooms are wired/connected with CAT5e wires for communication purpose. Yesterday, phone company installed our single standard line telephone. I have 4 line phone sets (for living room, and 3 bedrooms) I plug them into the wall jack and they all work fine. Here is my question: My main computer and modem is in my study, I wonder if I can put my router in family room which is at the center of the house, and connect it to my modem by using the CAT5e wall jacks. Is this going to interfere the regular telephone (or the network) ? Thanks for help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-11, 11:28 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
It depends upon how the various jacks are wired. If they are merely "daisy chained" or "looped" then you would probably have problems. If they are individually run to a central "patch panel" then you have a better chance of being able to do what you desire. Ideally the builder would have run two cables to each jack location, one for wired telephone and the second for data service.

In my sister's house (built in 2006) the builder did indeed run two cat 5 cables (along with a coaxial cable for TV) to each jack and it all ends up in a "structured media" (patch) panel located in the laundry room. While I don't like the laundry room location this is the proper method.

Running both telephone and Ethernet (data) on a single cable can be done although it is not the preferred method. Without knowing more about how the various cables are interconnected I can't offer much more.

Old 03-06-11, 12:28 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As Furd said. It is depending on the way the cables are connected in each end.
The cable is fully capable to handle a: 2 network connections, or 1 nettwork + 2 telephones, or 4 telephones.
It is standards for colorcodes, and pinouts for the jack. It is important to not mix the pairs. They are twisted pais, and those are twisted agin to reduce noice.

dsk

Old 03-06-11, 10:07 PM
C
Thanks folks. I do have a pacth panel in my laundry room. 10 cat5e wires go out from there. But they did not mark the wire or board, so I don't know which one goes to which room. ANy way, from look at the patch board, they seems all connected, I can see many wires go accross from one group of 8 pins to another group of 8 pins, another word, same color wires are connected all together. may be this is why my telephone set can plug in any jack, they all work fine. So in this case, if I plug in the network router and modem into the jacks, should it work ? Thanks.

Old 03-06-11, 11:54 PM
F
So in this case, if I plug in the network router and modem into the jacks, should it work ?
Unfortunately, no. If you want to utilize the same cable for both telephone and data you are going to need to "break out" the data pairs from each cable and connect them individually to separate jacks on the router. This WILL be tedious as you need to retain the proper twist on the data pairs or you will likely experience problems.

If you have no choice then I would suggest that you lift the green and brown pairs from the telephone interface modules and re-terminate them to the appropriate terminals on RJ-45 data jacks. It will require carefully slitting the cable jacket (most likely) and carefully removing the two data pairs from the other two pairs while retaining the twist. Once you have the data jacks attached use pre-made patch cables to connect to the router.

Old 03-07-11, 04:11 AM
R
A little tip about slitting that jacket: Grab the string with a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull it back. It will split the jacket without damaging the wires inside.

Old 03-07-11, 08:33 AM
C
Thanks again, I need to find out which cat5e wire go to my Study and family room first. don't know how to do that yet, but will try. from the patch panel, I can see the 2 phone wires are connected to the blue pair of the first jack. Can you tell me which pair (pairs) are used by modem so that I can get to it. (I have --top down--blue, orange, green, brown 4 pairs on each jack). What I am thinking is if I can identify the wires go to my study and family room, I'll pull those paris out of the patch board and connect them together by hand and hope that will work.

Old 03-08-11, 04:03 AM
R
Can you upload photos of the patch panels and wall plate to a hosting site and link to them here? How to put pix in your posts.

The blue pair is used for telephone Line 1. Orange for telephone Line 2. Green and brown are used for data (or telephone Lines 3 & 4).

Do you have a multimeter? The easiest way to ID where the cables go (without spending a lot of money on toner & wand) is to use a paper clip to short one of the pairs on the back of the wall plate and look for that short at the patch bay end by using a multimeter set to ohms. Don't short the blue pair if you have an active phone line.

Old 03-08-11, 10:40 AM
F
Rick's method to identify specific jack pairs won't work if all the cables are connected to a bridged telephone module because ALL the pairs of the individual cables are paralleled in the module. You will need to lift the green and brown pairs from the module.

Old 03-09-11, 11:51 AM
C
Thanks guys, It is done. I found wires to my Study and family room by plugging in a line phone and then pull the blue wires out one jack a time, when the phone stop working, I knew that is the one. took me 20 minutes, not bad. The bad part is I could not put those blue wires back in anymore, I had to buy a little push down tool from HomeDepot($8) to do that. After I connect those 2 wires by hand(I connected all 4 paris, because I do not use phone in those 2 rooms anyway). everything worked fine. Thanks again.