Tracing phone line wires

Old 06-20-11, 09:17 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tracing phone line wires

My house is wired with an OnQ wiring system. The voice part of this system has boards with punch down blocks for the wire. The installer did not record where the wires went and I am trying to match wires to particular jacks. When I put my wire tracker on a wall jack and try to track it in the board, I get a positive reading on all wires connected to that board. Is the tracking signal being transmitted to all wires through the connections on the board? Is there an alternative way to track without having to disconnect each wire from its punch down block? My wire tracker is a fairly simple one that uses 2 AA batteries as the power supply.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-11, 09:43 AM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
If the cables from the individual jacks are connected to a punch-down module that parallels all cables then yes, you will need to remove the individual wires, or at least the blue and white pair, in order to trace the individual jacks.

If the cables are punched down on a regular 66 or 110 block then there are probably "straps" (jumper wiring) that can be removed to test each cable separately.

Old 06-21-11, 03:35 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
As Furd said, removing the jumpers (bridge clips) will break the connection between head end and field. Here's a 66 block with bridge clips: 66 block - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In many cases a pair of vertical wires is punched in small loops to parallel the head-end connections to the field. You can remove those loops to test the wiring.

Old 06-23-11, 09:25 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jameswil View Post
My house is wired with an OnQ wiring system. The voice part of this system has boards with punch down blocks for the wire. The installer did not record where the wires went and I am trying to match wires to particular jacks. When I put my wire tracker on a wall jack and try to track it in the board, I get a positive reading on all wires connected to that board. Is the tracking signal being transmitted to all wires through the connections on the board? Is there an alternative way to track without having to disconnect each wire from its punch down block? My wire tracker is a fairly simple one that uses 2 AA batteries as the power supply.
Consider yourself lucky that the wiring was all terminated on a punch down block. Most of the houses I have seen just daisy chain all of the wires together and one line ends up at the demarc.