DSL working but phone line out - due to rain?

Old 08-14-11, 02:39 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSL working but phone line out - due to rain?

It has been pouring buckets here all day. A couple of hours ago, I noticed that both our phone and dsl were down. When the rain let up, the dsl came back, but the phone is still out. i tried plugging a phone in directly at the NID, but can't get a tone there either. i tried disconnecting all of the phones from the jacks and the replugging one at a time, but no dice. we don't have a fax machine or anything else that may be using the line.

i spoke with verizon a bunch of times today, which has been a lot of fun, since everyone is pretty much on strike and there seems to be a skeleton crew of supervisors from various departments, handling the phones. the last girl i spoke with said that the test appeared to indicate that a line was in use, but then she also admitted that this was only her first week on the job - awesome.

one of these special folks set up call forwarding for me, earlier on in the day. the phone line now forwards directly to my cell on the first ring. i assume that has nothing to do with it though?

our NID is in our house, and apparently very, very old. does anyone know if the NID is considered mine or verizon's? i'm worried that if its ours and the problem is in the NID, we will have to shell out an arm and a leg for the service call. Plus, i was told that...maybe.....a tech can make it out here on wednesday, sometime between the hours of 8A and 7P. so glad i shell out so much money each month for my phone service.

any thought anyone may have on this would be greatly appreciated. when this problem first started, i assumed the water had shorted out the line, but if that actually was the case, shouldn't the dsl still be out too?

thanks much, all!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-11, 05:34 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
i assumed the water had shorted out the line, but if that actually was the case, shouldn't the dsl still be out too?
DSL only uses one wire, POTS uses both so if the wire that is grounded isn't the one used by DSL you will have no POTS but will have DSL. Could you post a picture of what you think is the NID?

Old 08-14-11, 05:49 PM
S
Sorry just deleted my last post. Should have read your response better. It's been a long day, and I'm a newbie. Thx for responding.

Will try to post a picture. In the meantime, here's a lame description, as I'm not electrically savvy by any means. I'm talking about a 4X4 box inside our house where the cable comes in. The box is labeled as telephone/internet service. Inside, there is a small cable, which is connected to a jack on one end (I assume this is the connection to the service coming in) and hard-wired on the other (I assume this connects to our home wiring). There are directions printed on the inside cover of the box explaining how to test the line by disconnecting the cable from the jack and then plugging a phone into it. That's what I did, with two phones and there's no dial tone.

In any case, am I understanding correctly that the water could have shorted out the phone while sparing the DSL? Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited by skippito; 08-14-11 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-14-11, 06:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
And the water may be several blocks from your house. Since you don't have a dial tone at the NID the problem is on Verizons side. Nothing you can do.

Original you wrote:
our NID is in our house, and apparently very, very old. does anyone know if the NID is considered mine or verizon's?
Your newest description indicates you have a correct NID. No picture needed.

Old 08-14-11, 07:16 PM
S
Duh, again I missed part of your post. Brain fried! Thanks again for all of your help!