telephone jack not always working

Old 09-11-11, 05:02 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
telephone jack not always working

One of the telephone jacks in our apartment does not always work, i.e. there isn't always a dial tone. We can also be in the middle of a conversation when the line gets cut off. The problem began around a month ago.

We tried another phone in the jack - same problem, so it is definitely not the phone.
We bought a new jack plate figuring that it was the plate, and it did work for a few days but then worked part of the time and now, once again, it is not working.

Any suggestions that we can do or is this a job for a professional?
THanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-11, 05:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'd suspect a bad connection somewhere in the wiring. Is that the only phone jack you have? There should be a jack at the phone box where the line enters the house, plug your phone in there and see how it does. You might want to clean and reconnect those connections as well.

Old 09-11-11, 07:47 AM
L
It's not the only phone jack. I tried another phone and it wasn't working in that phone jack so we figured that it must be the jack. We got a new plate but it didn't help. Now another phone just worked for a short time and again it's a problem. All the other jacks are working fine.

By the way, the original phone does not work in another jack. Can that mean that something in the jack messed up our phone too? The phone that was plugged in is an answering machine/fax.

Last edited by leafile; 09-11-11 at 07:49 AM. Reason: one more thing...
Old 09-11-11, 10:57 AM
L
Hi All,

Just so you know, we decided that we will take out the plate again and double check the wires coming out of the wall. Maybe there is a broken wire. If that doesn't work, we will just have to hire a professional. We have no knowledge how to check wires inside the wall.

Thanks to anyone who read this and tried to think of a way to help us.
Lea

Old 09-11-11, 12:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I note you are in Israel, so we may not be able to give all good info on your type systems. Here, if you are in an apartment, it is owned by someone else, and you are putting yourself liable if you do the work or hire someone else to do it. Contact your landlord, since it is their property and it should be in good working order. Good luck with the search.

Old 09-11-11, 10:43 PM
L
Thank you. We own the apartment and we can either hire someone from the phone company or someone private. Only the main jack was put in by the phone company and, hence, their responsibility, but that is not the problem jack. Thanks so much.

Old 09-16-11, 11:50 PM
D
This may be solved.
After looking over, and following all the hints you all ready got, look for bad connections or broken wire near the termination in the other end of the cable. (master socket??)

I'm not sure about the Israeli system, but i have an idea of some UK standard, with master socket, and 3 wires (in use) to the rest of the sockets. Most common termination may be punch down, and not screw termination.

dsk

Last edited by d_s_k; 09-16-11 at 11:52 PM. Reason: spelling