Significant Static, new wiring

Old 09-26-11, 07:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Significant Static, new wiring

I have the following situation that I am hopeful someone may have suggested actions:

I purchased Cat 5e and ran it from the connect box using the blue to red and blue/white to green directly to a RJ45 jack in a room - phone works great, can use portable phones throughout the house.

I then ran CAT 5e to a RJ45 jack in my family room and I get severe static which comes and goes - it can be clear but as soon as I dial a number or just leave it off the hook awhile, the loud static comes in. I took these actions: made sure all connections in the connect box were free of corrosion (the wires are hooked to the same as the first phone I noted); I have used several different phones, all with the same outcome; I tested to see if the line from the phone company was free of static, it was; I will say that this new line runs along my DISH cable line and comes out in the same box. I have tried several RJ45 connectors, but same result.

My thoughts are to get a ?? "regular" phone jack for the wall and wire that; I don't know if I'm just fighting an uphill battle with the DISH Coax cable running along side it or not.

Thanks

Rick

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-11, 03:07 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

You didn't mention if you tried a different cable between the phone and the wall plate.

When you pulled the Cat5 did you kink it or use excessive force to pull it? More than 25 pounds of pull can damage it.

Swap the blue and green pairs on the Cat5 at both ends to see if there may be a break in the blue pair. The green pair has a slightly tighter twist pattern which could also tell you if the CATV cable is interfering -- Although I have never heard of CATV interfering with other low voltage wiring.

Old 09-27-11, 05:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Is the Cat5 running next to any electrical cables?

Old 09-27-11, 08:34 AM
R
No, just runs with the catv cable.

Old 09-27-11, 08:44 AM
R
Yes, I used two different phones/chords to eliminate that. I didn't pull that hard, but could have; will try your suggestion and worse case, run the cable again.

Thanks!

Rick

Old 09-28-11, 03:44 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If the green pair doesn't work, before you run new cable test it by running the cable exposed along the floor. Even if it has to travel twice as far and down stairs. That will tell you if the buzzing is a result of proximity to the cable or electrical.

When you say it "comes and goes", is it repeatable every time you dial, and every time you leave it off hook? If not, could the cable be running next to any electrical device that turns on & off automatically, like a fridge or dehumidifier?

Old 09-28-11, 04:31 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you have DSL from the phone company?

If yes, try turning off or unplugging the modem. If the static goes away, it's an issue with where or how the DSL filter is installed.

You shouldn't get any interference from the coax just being besides it.