mate another cordless phone to base?

Old 11-28-11, 05:06 AM
L
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
mate another cordless phone to base?

approx 8 to 10 yr old panasonic 2.4 phone that has handset in base then one cordless phone. the mic is dead..can hear tapping but not voice. if i can buy another junker on ebay and mate it to my existing set it would be great. can this be done...cant find manual

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-11, 03:46 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you can find the same make, model and frequency (they might use different channels) it will work.

Old 11-29-11, 05:04 AM
L
freq meaning the 2.4? i guess what i'm asking is is just buying the exact same model phone going to guarantee me a sync? if thats true then what prevents someone from driving by and using their phone lol.

Old 11-29-11, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes, freq means the 2.4 Ghz. Each phone, even old ones had the ability to use different channels w/i their freq range. Some up to 30 I believe. I remember one I had that even had a button labeled "chan". If you were getting interference, you pushed the button a few times to find a clear channel. That was the problem with the old analog phones, easy to interfere with or tap into someone elses conversation. On one that old, i don't imagine there was a lot of "pairing" that had to be done. Newer units have to be put in the main base station before use..or something similar.

How many handsets do you have now? If just 2 or 3...you could easily buy a new system with digital voice and simple encryption, answering machine, etc for probably $50 or even less. Shopping Amazon or some of the sales will prob find an even better deal. WalMart even shows a 4 handset system for only $70.

The new ones work much better I think. Sound quality, range, battery life, features like intercom, call transfer, paging....

Old 11-29-11, 06:30 AM
L
base with corded phone and keypad plus one cordless

i foudn this in the online owners manual

If “No link to base. Walk closer to base & try again” is
displayed even if you use the cordless handset near the base unit, the
cordless handset may lose communication with the base unit. It is
necessary to set the same security code between the base unit and
cordless handset. Follow the steps below.

so i guess if a buy a used phone off ebay it will hook up. i did find one other phone like mine and may risk it for 25 bucks

but then again, maybe the reason my router kicks off so much is that my 2.4 phone is interfering..so i have a decision to make..but i'm very demanding with features on phones so unsure how long would take me to find a new one with acceptable answering machine quality. usually takes 3 to 4 trips back and forth from the store and this means i must always buy locally

also as good as i thougth i was, this phone doesnt have audible VM alert and it doesnt work when the power is out. 2 things i will have in the future for sure

Old 11-30-11, 01:37 AM
R
Some telephones tend to blast all of the 2.4ghz channels when they ring which can interfere with other wireless devices.

As for power outages, you could buy a UPS for the phone. Another option is to keep a cheap wired phone around for such emergencies.

Old 12-01-11, 10:10 AM
L
after takign into account the advice on this site, plus now learning panny doesnt even sell the handset from the factory anymore, oh and plus gettign a used , even if perfect' handset is kind of icky, i spent all day yesterday shopping locally and think i foudn the phone for me

AT&T Cl84100 Corded Cordless Digital Answering System ? Walmart.com

i'l spend the extra 20 for another handset and keep it in the drawer for when the other one breaks..or maybe just put it where i may need it. this phone has power outage protection and has an audible message alert, something my current phone didnt. Just hope when it comes in i like the voice quality on the machine. years ago it was awful on a lotta machines. also they dont make such 'nice curvy' handsets like i have now, i dont like the skinny phones, they dont feel right, but none are around anymore

i already do have one wired phone for emergencies but it's not in a great spot so this is a big plus

Old 12-01-11, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Glad you found a solution. If you are happy with it, I would suggest using the extra handset somewhere. Leaving it in a drawer for 5 yrs seems a waste and would probably eat up the battery.

Old 12-01-11, 02:08 PM
R
No battery that's currently on the consumer market will last five years.

More importantly, any electronic device that uses batteries should be stored without batteries. In as little as a few months batteries can bleed corrosive material into the electronics, rendering them useless.

Pull that battery out of the spare and either use it as a swapper for the phone you use every day, or donate it to someone who can use it.

Old 12-01-11, 04:57 PM
L
should the phone be run down to empty or put back on charger every time

Old 12-02-11, 05:33 AM
L
Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
No battery that's currently on the consumer market will last five years.

More importantly, any electronic device that uses batteries should be stored without batteries. In as little as a few months batteries can bleed corrosive material into the electronics, rendering them useless.

Pull that battery out of the spare and either use it as a swapper for the phone you use every day, or donate it to someone who can use it.

i'm aware of battery life...at least 3 years ago i bought 2 for my current phone and when this died, i opened the package and even after days on charge the 'new' battery didnt work at all.

but whats the technical reason why a battery in an unused device will leak after X amount of time while the same device in regular use will not leak?

Old 12-02-11, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator
Probably due to the chemical reaction. Once it's not charged it just corrodes through the case.

btw...I've had a 4 handset Uniden system since mid 2007 and the batteries in it are all just fine. I misplaced one a few months back and didn't find it for about 5 days and it was still charged. Not like cell phones which use power (as long as they are turned on) even when not in active use. My 1 yr old cellphone will be dead in less than 3 days just sitting there.

Old 12-03-11, 05:39 AM
R
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
should the phone be run down to empty or put back on charger every time
Older technology ni-cad batteries lasted the longest with full-cycle drain and recharge usage or they developed a "memory" that wouldn't allow them to fully charge. The newer nimh and lion batteries (and ni-cads with smart chargers) don't have this issue.

Old 12-03-11, 05:45 AM
R
Vic,
I don't know about the Uniden system, but most handsets don't turn off when not in use. If they did they wouldn't be able to sense incoming calls and "wake up" to ring. I'll also wager that your 5 year old batteries don't last nearly as long as they did when they were new.

Old 12-03-11, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator
Oh...I didn't mean actually off.....just not on an active call. And since they sit the the base mostly...they don't really draw on the battery anyway. Not like the cell phones that are constantly "pinging" the system and using power, if they are turned on, even if they aren't on a call.

And you're probably right about the batteries....but my wife can spend 3 hrs on a handset in speakerphone mode talking to her sister. Only once can I remember that she had to swap handsets. She had just spent a long time on with her sis...then her son called and about 1/2 hr into it, she had to grab another phone. Hey.....don't ask me what she can a talk about for 3 hrs...but if the batteries last that long after 4 1/2 yrs...I'm happy. Wish my tool batteries would do as good.

btw...my phone uses NiMH packs.