Upgrade my ancient demarcation point?

Old 01-17-12, 08:51 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Upgrade my ancient demarcation point?

Hello.

I am upgrading the communication lines throughout our (replacing with Cat5e for voice and data) and I'm interested in upgrading the demarcation point on the outside of our home.

I have requested for Bell to install a proper NID, but no go, which is a bummer because there's no real demarcation point. It's literally just a line from the back alley to the side of the house, then it's spliced into the wire that goes into the house. It was wrapped in electrical tape and attached to the wall no cover or anything. Totally exposed to the elements. So, I've cleaned up and re-spliced the wires and installed a weather-proof junction box to house them, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to connect the two lines beyond just twisting them together to make the connection? The goal is to get the cleaned "joining" of the wires (mainly, so I have optimal connection for the DSL connection).

So, if anyone has suggestions for a hardware solution for joining the two lines, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kristin.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-12, 04:45 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The best connection is made with solder. Second, and most common, is a physical connection such as a crimped butt splice, screw, or nut. The weakest, but still robust, is the modular "RJ" connector..

You can buy an NID at Graybar and other supply houses. Without a true NID you don't have lightning protection on the line.

(Maybe you could place another call to Bell and tell them you're concerned because there is no lightning protection on their end of your connection?)

Old 01-18-12, 06:58 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Also contact the public utilities commission or equivalent for your state. I have read that the phonco is required to provide a proper NID. Also ask at the forum applicable to your AT&T division here DSLReports Home : Broadband ISP Reviews News Tools and Forums. While unofficial most forums have AT&T employees who are members that can directly help you.

Old 01-18-12, 07:24 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. When I cleaned everything up, I used wire nuts on the connections, so that should do for now. Outside of having a NID installed, is there anything that can be done to protect against lightning? I'm going to continue to push Bell to install a proper NID, but here in Canada, it seems like Bell isn't "required" to do anything outside of being a royal pain-in-the-ass. But, I will continue to work them on getting a proper NID installed.
Thanks again,
Kristin.

Old 01-19-12, 04:21 AM
R
There are surge protectors (power strips) available with built-in RJ connectors for the network and phone equipment.

Old 01-21-12, 06:35 PM
D
Are you sure there is no protection ?
It may be inside the house, typically close to the electrical panel.. and probably about where you home-ran all your new wires to ?
If it's a funky old carbon-block type protector, then an upgrade to gas tube or solid state would be an upgrade. However, I dont think there are any rules as to what type of protection the telco has to supply.. but it *does* have to be protected. If you inspect the area well, and determine there is no protection, then you should demand a site visit by a rep. Get them to put something in writing that your service is acceptable 'as is', etc.