SAME COAXIAL USED for VHF Radio and SATELLITE Internet Signal?

Old 01-30-12, 02:25 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question SAME COAXIAL USED for VHF Radio and SATELLITE Internet Signal?

I want to splice an extension into my VHF Marine Radio antenna. All I have out here is some coax from the old satellite internet application. Will that work for the VHF antenna? I have always been confused about what coax is usable for what application

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-12, 03:58 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It's not a good idea to use TV cable. Marine VHF radios require a 50-ohm cable, preferably RG8 (or, for very short runs, RG58). TV cable is usually RG6, which is 75 ohms.

Old 01-31-12, 09:24 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Rick,
The antenna is a Shakespeare Style 5200 Marine CB 8ft. The lead cable is marked RG62 (93 ohm). All the info I find on the net says DO NOT cut or alter this lead; it recommends using 50 ohm extension cable with proper connectors. Nowhere in the specs does it actually state that the lead is RG62. Either someone has changed out the original stock lead cable for this RG62 cable or RG62 was designed into the system for some special reason??? Why would they design a 93 ohm lead into the antenna and then recommend 50 ohm extension cable? (I noticed that Shakespeare specs show RG62 lead cable used on it's AM/FM Entertainment Band Antennas).

I live on an isolated lightstation; it is hard to get supplies. All I could find on station was the RG6. Is it worth trying it or should I just wait for some 50 ohm cable? Perhaps I should find a more suitable antenna too; is 'Marine CB' the same as Marine Band VHF??

If I paired an RG6 (75 ohm) extension with the RG62 (93 ohm) antenna lead, would it damage the radio or just cause poor signal performance?

Thanks