Removed ADT Commander 2000, Phones dead

Old 02-06-12, 05:46 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removed ADT Commander 2000, Phones dead

Hi, I need help with my phones please. I removed an old ADT control box from my house (system was not functioning). Main panel called safewatch plus RF, but no phone lines into that. THe lines went into the commander 2000. Two lines are the normal 4 wire phone lines with red, green, black and yellow. One extra line has nine wires of blue, yellow, red, black, brown, orange, white, purple and green. I can't trace where they go as they go into the walls. Can I splice these back together somehow to get it up again. I tried to hook the red, green, yellow and blacks together with no luck.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-12, 03:46 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

First you need to identify which wires are coming from the telco. Start by plugging a phone into the NID (where the telco wires enter your home). This will verify that you have dial tone. Note the color of the wires that leave the box and go into the house.

Next, go to the panel and connect those wires to the phone. The easiest way is to use a biscuit or a wall plate from another location that you'll need to eventually remove anyway. (Note which wires go where on the plate or biscuit, or take a photo.) Make sure you have dial tone at those wires in the panel. Now you know which wires feed the system.

Go to the location where you removed the wall plate. Strip and short the red and green (or white/blue & blue/white) wires. Use an ohm meter or multimeter set to ohms to find the shorted wires at the panel. Alternatively, use a battery at the wall location and a flashlight bulb at the panel.

If you can't find the pairs of wires there is another junction somewhere in the house.