Phone gets 'dead' after making a call or answerr to the phone

Old 02-22-12, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Phone gets 'dead' after making a call or answerr to the phone

Hi:
Recently, the G.E. phone using inside the house getting 'dead' after making the phone-call or receiving to answer to the phone.

What's wrong with the phone?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-12, 01:47 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 608 Votes on 561 Posts
How old is the phone? The batteries may simply be old and no longer able to hold a charge.

Old 02-22-12, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the response.

I just purchased this G.E. telephone only two and half years ago and occassionally using it. There is no batteries inside it.

I also forgot to mention in my previous thread, ....
strangely enough, when I pull Phone-Jack off from the wall and back it into it, it works.

Is this to be because Phone-Jack getting back? Because, I installed this Phone-Jack over ten or 15 years ago when Dial-Up was only Internet connection, except one or two very expensive broadband connections to recall.

Old 02-22-12, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
So this is a corded phone? not cordless. If so, the contacts might just be dirty. I'm not sure what would be the best way to clean them

Old 02-22-12, 06:22 PM
I also forgot to mention in my previous thread, ....
strangely enough, when I pull Phone-Jack off from the wall and back it into it, it works.
Sounds like you need a new jack. That's what mine used to do before I replaced them. I can explain what happened.

Old 02-22-12, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

After posted here, .... I tried to replace a brand new phone-jack, but before running to the Radio Shack, 15 minutes away from my home, I unscrewd the phone-jack whether I can do the work, because I did it so long ago and almost forgot what's inside the phone-jack. Upon opening it, I found one screw located in the middle of the phone-jack was not quite tightened up.

In my guess, during the Dial-days, there had the four-way plug which enabled to connect two PCs, fax and phone that might have caused to get the screw loose over the years, due to the weight of the four-way plug.

Now, after the screw tightened, the phone never die even after more than 7 different calls.

Old 02-24-12, 04:37 AM
D
Nice to hear it turned out to be working fine.
The problem described could be related to the hook switch too.
A typical telephone contains of a ringer circuit always connected, and a voice/dialing circuit who disconnects when putting the handset in its rest position. (Then the current stops running, and the exchange knows you the telephone is not in use)

dsk

Last edited by d_s_k; 02-24-12 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-24-12, 09:39 PM
The problem described could be related to the hook switch too.
A typical telephone contains of a ringer circuit always connected, and a voice/dialing circuit who disconnects when putting the handset in its rest position. (Then the current stops running, and the exchange knows you the telephone is not in use)
I did put the current telephone-jack when it started to change from older telephone(now it's called, 'vintage telephone') to newer phone(finger touch phone), then the Phone-Jack is quite old and almost obsolete. In my faint recollection, I bought it from local telephone company that used to sell at the Mall, back mid '80 or around that time. Anyway, it's long time ago.

Now, I'm thinking of buying the following telephone-jack 'just in case of malfunction.' Because, it's very similar to the one I have now. Actually, I found it at the eBay site and cheap, too, probably it's too old for selling.

---- Surface Mount Phone Jack 4-Wire Telephone
"Biscuit Block" style Block----

Your opinion would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 03-03-12, 12:22 AM
D
I guess your relation to this is specialized enough to ask you to take a look here:

http://************/2b5zrrg

dsk

Old 03-03-12, 09:12 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Tinypic can't be used for images on this site. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 03-18-12, 12:33 PM
D
Dropping in again, sorry for that link
Try this long link:
Rotary Phone Forum - Index

dsk