Fm radio with LCD screen

Old 02-27-12, 05:01 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fm radio with LCD screen

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a DIY electronic kit for an FM receiver that has an LCD screen to see the frequency you are on. Obviously there are plenty around that use dials, and lots of cheap radios use a 'scan' button. But I want to be able to see the frequency and lock it there...

Alternatively if there is a way to add an LCD screen to a scan radio, that may help, but something tells me that would require a chip and programming...

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-12, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Welcome to our forums but I hope you are not serious.

Sure it could be done if you have enough time money and electronic engineering expertise.
If you don't have all of the above you should be able to find a $30.00 radio that does what you want............Try eBay.

Old 02-28-12, 03:37 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Like Greg said, the radios are too cheap to try such an experiment. Even my jobsite radio (Ridgid) has an electronic frequency screen, and a flip out MP3/Ipod player. I think it was a little over $100, but I caught it at HD in the clearance bin for $50. Scanners, likewise come with digital screens, for what it is worth. They scan so fast, all you can see is when it lands on a good channel. Otherwise, tuning to a particular channel it is great.

Old 02-28-12, 05:02 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 587 Votes on 541 Posts
The age of electronics kits has mostly passed but last year Heathkit announced they would be getting back into producing kits though they have not announced any radio kits yet. Here is a link to that section of their website.

Do not expect a kit to be less expensive than purchasing a ready made radio with the features you want. Long ago when labor was a large part of the expense of electronics you could assemble it yourself and save but these days the low production volume of a kit relegates it to boutique status. By the way, I still bear the scar from my first Heathkit experience. My massive but groovy AM/FM stereo headset is long gone but that scar from a hot soldering iron will be with me forever. Ahhh, fond memories...