static on fm radio

Old 03-26-12, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
static on fm radio

I work in a wood shop. We are permitted to listen to radios. The building is metal or pole barn construction. my radio hardly ever comes in so I can clearly hear it. I have tried running copper wire from antenna to steele beams. the signal is still poor if not at all. what device or tip can i use to get a better signal?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-12, 04:32 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The copper wire could work for AM, but not for FM. Does the radio pick up signals when it's outside the building? If so, can you put an external FM antenna on the radio and mount it outside?

If the building has wifi or if you have an unlimited data plan on a smart phone you could use Pandora or another internet radio service.

Old 03-27-12, 05:41 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 599 Votes on 553 Posts
Antennas are more than just a dumb piece of metal. Best would be for you to have a proper antennae outside the building.

Does your radio have an antennae input and do you know if it's 300ohm or 75ohm?

If you want to make your own best would be a piece of metal in an increment of the wavelength/frequency you are trying to receive. A simple formula is to divide 93.75 by the frequency of your favorite station. That will give you the length of your antennae in centimeters. With FM you'll end up with something about 3 feet long. If you want better reception you can double or triple it's length.