Portable high powered cell booster (kit?)

Old 05-08-12, 09:45 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Portable high powered cell booster (kit?)

I'm looking into a cellular signal booster kit that would be fairly portable. A lot of the area I travel (off road or kayak) have little to no cell coverage.
It would be more of a toy, but justifiable as a safety item as well.

As of now, I'm looking at automotive booster kits, but will need to work on a power supply setup for when not in a vehicle (i.e in the kayak, or backpacking).
The system I am liking is the Wilson 801212 MOBILE Cellular Booster Kit, but the power consumption could pose an issue.

Thoughts and or ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-12, 02:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
Can just an antenna alone be added? Years ago I had a bag phone in my work van. There were a lot of dead areas that I traveled thru but once I installed an antenna on the windshield - I got service in most of those areas.

Old 05-09-12, 04:24 AM
N
marksr,

The big difference with your bag phone and the current phones is power output. My Blackberry is lucky to put out 1/8th watt where your bag phone was probably 1-1.5watt output.

External antennas could work a bit (mine has two antenna ports internally, wife's has none), but I don't think the output power would really capitialize on them very well.

Old 05-09-12, 04:49 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Votes on 260 Posts
I knew there were a lot of differences between the old phones and the new - especially the price. That bag phone cost $25 per month with only 30 minutes, 50 cent per minute there after

Didn't know if an antenna would work on a modern phone but suggested it just in case

Old 05-09-12, 06:04 AM
N
I think the biggest issue with adding external antennas directly to the phone would be the wear and damage potential. The two antenna ports on my BB are under the battery cover, and being very small and attached directly to the main board, I could see a major damage risk.
If it worked and didn't pose a major damage risk, that would be the more cost effective method.

Old 05-09-12, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just wondering if you had considered one of those Sat/GPS message phones? Not the expensive type where you can actually make a call, but the type that have the pre-programed messages (I'm OK, On Schedule, Need help, etc)? If you send the emergency message it transmits your coordinates as well, I believe. Wouldn't be much use otherwise I guess...lol.

Old 05-09-12, 07:50 AM
N
Gunguy45,

I believe the Alert (I think it's called that) system is what you are refering too.
I've looked into a few different models, ranging from a simple panic button, GPS with enbedded panic button, one way text message unit.
From what I remember (been a year or so) the cost of the units range from ~$100CND to $600CND plus the subscription fees, which where ~$100 a year and up.

I looked into these units a year or so ago at the wife's request. I do a lot of mtn biking, kayaking, and middle of no where camping and in the past years, have done a lot of this while traveling solo.
For being a purpose designed item, they work great, but at the cost of the unit + subscription... the cell booster may be a more cost effective means as it'd be an up front hardware cost and with existing subscriptions already in place and use.
The geek side of me would also love the ability to send pictures from some of the cool locations. The really geeky part of me would like to be able to send a photo from the fire tower at Ishpatina Ridge. This place is ~90km from anywhere (as the crow flies) but with a properly aimed directional antenna, it should be possible.

Old 05-09-12, 07:54 AM
N
marksr,

Here is what I meant about the antenna ports on my Blackberry.

(red MS paint arrows indicating antenna ports, located under the battery cover)
Name:  IMGP0012.jpg
Views: 1092
Size:  22.7 KB