Pre-Paid Cell-Phone

Old 05-11-12, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pre-Paid Cell-Phone

Hi:
I have a cell-phone, but I also plan to get 'Pre-Paid' cell-phone for one of family members who does not use/talk often over the phone.

Just wonder what type or which co.'s cell-phone is good for the occasional cell-phone user?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-12, 04:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Tough question. Although there may be a number of companies who can provide the phone, the real question is performance when the family member DOES want to use it. Case in point: when my Mom, who lives about 90 miles up the road, comes to visit, in order for her to get a signal on her cell phone she has to step outside; it's pretty much useless in the house. Her provider, although a national well-known company apparently has dismal coverage in our area, although it's fine when she's home. I would be including coverage area/performance in the decision process.

Old 05-12-12, 06:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same thing for one of my helpers. He's older and just doesn't have a cell phone. Good worker, shows up early on jobsites, sets up equipment, etc. before the rest of us show up. Only problem he shows up in the rain, snow, etc. The others I can text and tell them not to show up. Him, no contact. So I think I'll get him one, limit the calls to my number only, and pay for it myself. That way he can't use up all "my" minutes calling his grandkids.
TG, heck, no service is normal in my house, too. I have to leave the phone propped up in the corner and use my bluetooth to talk. If I touch the phone, I lose service.
NOW, I understand, if you have an older phone which is digital (not a bag phone ), with the large carrier, you can just have them issue a SIM card, plug it into the phone and save the cost of having to purchase a phone. I'm still checking that out.

Old 05-12-12, 07:26 AM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My wife rarely talks or texts so we originally opted to get her a pay-as-you-go Tracfone. $30 for the phone and $20 for a card that lasted 90 days/60 minutes. It worked very well in our coverage area, and we both felt good about her having a phone if she had an emergency.

After three years the phone died, and since she was using up her minutes more often we opted for Net10. The phone was $30 but this time we opted for the $15 30-day/200 minutes plan that automatically renews every month. The minutes roll over, and she has accumulated hundreds of unused minutes.

Again, it depends on the coverage in your area. Here is Net10's coverage map.

Old 05-12-12, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Though the prepaid may be good for certain people/uses.....my wife and I found that for us it made more sense to just keep me on our plan for an addl $10 per month. We have unlimited night and weekends and share the 500 daytime minutes. We have free mobile to mobile...so our calls to each other don't count. The daytime minutes rollover each month so we have about 1000 in the bank right now. She wanted a smartphone and there was a minimum plan she needed for that anyway. So we bought her the fancy phone and kept her old flip phone as a backup if mine ever dies.

Minutes that expire on a prepaid is like buying someone a gift card to a store that isn't in their area...whats the point?

Old 05-12-12, 10:52 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Vic, I found out the larger phone company's pay as you go minutes will roll over if you renew prior to them expiring, so it may not be a bad thing (like the gift cards). Rick, open the Net10 site and look at the top of Georgia. There is a white spot......that's my house

Old 05-13-12, 05:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 53 Votes on 43 Posts
Only place I ever lose signal is in the Media Center of son's school (middle of school/no windows). About the only reason I stay with them (used to have Alltel; now it's the guys who bought them out) is the near 100% coverage; customer service and equipment selection not so good since the buy-out. The Net10 map for Florida looks a lot better than most of the cell providers.

Old 05-13-12, 06:20 PM
E
In my area, of NY, there are a lot of cell phone carriers. Over the years, I have tried like three or four of them. Some have good phones, with poor coverage, so have good coverage with poor phones. The best I have found for my area, is Verizon pre-paid, second being track phone, and the only one that works when I go to boy scout camp up in the Adirondack's. People with there 3 and 4 hundred dollar G4 phones, can't even get a signal. I am setting there with 3 or 4 bars. What kind of phone do you have, is that a sat phone. No it is just a plan forty dollar track phone. And some times I can even get on the internet out there, it is just a little slow.

Old 05-13-12, 11:45 PM
H
I have Tracfone wireless and I like it fairly well especially outside of the house although there are days when it works o.k. inside it just depends on things. I usually pay for a whole year of service and the last time I paid I think it was around $107.99 or so for the year and I think 400 minutes. So for me it is great as I am rarely on the phone when I am out. Tracfone now has smart phones too for a really great price. Here is their coverage map TracFone Coverage | Wireless Coverage Map | TracFone Prepaid Wireless . When you get to the page put your zip code in and it will tell you what it covers. By the way Net 10 and Tracfone are part of the same company. My minutes roll over every month and would irregardless of whether I was paying month to month or yearly. Some people really like pre-paid as I do and some hate it regardless of the company so there is a wide range of opinions. For my money though I found Tracfone to be more flexible as far as payments are concerned and I have checked into other companies but didn't like their payment plans as much.