Old cellphone -reuse as a cordless bluetooth handset?

Old 01-31-13, 12:47 PM
Received 38 Votes on 31 Posts
Old cellphone -reuse as a cordless bluetooth handset?

I almost dove into the swimming pool with an android smartphone in my back pocket last summer.

That got me thinking; I upgraded to an android smartphone and an iphone, but I still have the "dumb phones" (Samsung rant and LG Rumor2) they replaced.

I'd like to use the OLD (e.g. expendable) Rant and Rumor2 via bluetooth as "headsets" for the more expensive phones. The expensive phone can stay on the charger indoors; the cheap phone gets used in the workshop or by the swimming pool.

I've worked a bit with bluetooth, adding a2dp to a phone to enable streaming music from phone to computer speakers, using a phone as AV remote control, even reverse-tethering an old palm centro so I could get online parts manuals at the workbench...

Now, the old BREW phones have the bluetooth profiles to work WITH headsets, but is there a hack to make an old phone act AS the headset over bluetooth?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-13, 06:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I read this with interest. However, if you are using a dumb phone to substitute for a smart phone, what do you need the smart phone for? The features aren't similar except for the call button. When I am around our house, (sketchy AT&T service boosted by a MicroCell) I leave my Atrix2 on the charging stand and walk around with my bluetooth (Plantronics Voyager Pro). I get all my calls without having to tote the phone. The Microcell gives me a range of about 500'

Old 02-01-13, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by chandler
However, if you are using a dumb phone to substitute for a smart phone, what do you need the smart phone for?

Just want to use the dumb phone as a handset in wet, dirty, grimy areas where I'd rather not bring the smart phone. E.g. , poolside, working on the car etc. And I'd rather not have to swipe the touchscreen to make or answer a call if I've got motor oil or swimming pool chemicals on my fingers.

Old 02-01-13, 06:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I make and break all my calls via bluetooth and voice commands, so I don't handle the phone too much around the house. I have it in a holster all day at work and seldom touch it there, either. I hear you on the wet thingy, though. Wifey has a propensity to allow her phone and water to attract each other like magnets.

Old 03-22-13, 10:20 AM
So, the initial idea-
use an old "candybar" cellphone (which is no longer on the phone network and sitting in a drawer somewhere) as a makeshift cordless handset by using bluetooth headset protocol.
Reasoning was that I'd like to keep the expensive phone safe in a charger somewhere, with the old phone near pool/workbench/car.
Well, no progress. Can't find any method to trick the old phone into thinking it's a headset.

But I have found an alternate use for the old bluetooth candybar cellphone-
Not exactly the "handset" I was initially thinking of.
More like a pager- lets you know somebody's called, what they called about, listen to their message, get back to them via text message.
(All with an old phone that is off the cellphone network)

Solution uses reverse-tethering over bluetooth and Google Voice
I recently added GoogleVoice app to my smartphone.
It replaces the carrier's voicemail with Google web-accessible VM and texting, and provides a (generally good) speech to text transcript of the phone call.

Some phones can get internet without need for a phone signal, via bluetooth, aka reverse-tethering. Once the candybar phone is logged into Google Voice via the phone's web browser, you see essentially the same information that you have on the smartphone itself.

READING a transcribed VM on the old phone works very well, small screen or low resolution is not a problem. Can play back the voice message on the old phone also. Currently, reply via SMS text works.

Another nice point is that this should work with any BT internet connection - whether from another phone or from a PC.

Next steps
I'm using a Palm Centro & Opera Mini for this. I'd like to find a way to reverse-tether older BREW phones, (Samsung Rant - LG Rumor2) over bluetooth.

Still can't actually ANSWER a call, perhaps that could work, but VOIP through the GoogleVoice website doesn't work (yet?).

Last edited by Hal_S; 03-22-13 at 11:03 AM.